ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

recommend me some tyres

Something Not French
Hankook S1 EVOs are good. Did very well in snow / ice in winter, and perform well in wet conditions. There are better tyres on dry days, but as an all rounder can't complain. Around £70 each.

Shoulders scrub easily, so as above Hankooks must have softer side walls.

Lotus Elise
Its not an "opinion" its just the harsh reality.

I have a set of 1.8 valver rims about to go up for sale with some rainsports on that have done 3 trackdays, and because the last one I did (llandow) dried out a bit in the afternoon I will be listing one of them as badly damaged as a result.

Will get you a picture to show what I mean.

The shoulder on the passenger side front has completely worn out in about 30 mins or so use on an only damp track.

Great in the wet though, or just for normal driving, but they absolutely cannot hack hard (ie trackday) dry use.

Fun Cup championship use them as the control tyre, once shaved to 4mm they are no worse then most other road tyres.

Superb tyre for a daily.

182+1.5DCI+S2000
bought PS2's last year and amazed with them, both in the dry and wet, i need another pair of front tyres now, so now im going for PS3's

I got PS3's all round on mine now and its like a train! only problem is the price but well worth it.

Hankook S1 EVOs are good. Did very well in snow / ice in winter, and perform well in wet conditions. There are better tyres on dry days, but as an all rounder can't complain. Around £70 each.

Shoulders scrub easily, so as above Hankooks must have softer side walls.

I've had a set of Hankook v15's and I got on well with them on a light 205 GTi a couple of years ago. Holding the tyre before I fitted them they seemed quite a stiff sidewall, but I agree they felt a bit soft to drive on - my assessment of that was that they may have a really soft compound with lots of silica (which made them good in the wet but a little vague when pushed, although consistently grippy). Handling precision was still quite sharp with them under normal driving. I quite liked them, but they were pants when I went to Oulton park in 2009 and they massively overheated in drying conditions.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fun Cup championship use them as the control tyre, once shaved to 4mm they are no worse then most other road tyres.

Superb tyre for a daily.

Never tried them shaved as I use them for wets where you want the depth, can see it helping a lot though as the blocks of tread are far too tall for their width which is why they fall apart so easily.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Here is a pic showing what happened to my rainsports when it went to only damp at llandow instead of being properly wet.

DSC_0564.jpg

The pass front one just literally fell part in probably under 30 mins hard use on a lightly dry track.

Brilliant in the wet though, I really rate them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
2 of them are fine mate, 1 of them just has a slight bit of wear it shouldnt, and really it is just that one with the damage on the shoulder and also each block of tread is now like its on tip toes a bit.

Inside half even of the worst tyre is still perfect, but the outside half all the tread blocks are worn diagonally:
DSC_0571.jpg

And bear in mind thats less than half an hours use, another half hour in the dry used that hard and that one would be fit for the bin only.

Lotus Elise
Never tried them shaved as I use them for wets where you want the depth, can see it helping a lot though as the blocks of tread are far too tall for their width which is why they fall apart so easily.

I had them on my Lexus and did a day at thruxton and it did ruin them (down to the canvas) however the wear was very even. Meh they are cheap and I really rate them for the price much better then T1Rs ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I had them on my Lexus and did a day at thruxton and it did ruin them (down to the canvas) however the wear was very even. Meh they are cheap and I really rate them for the price much better then T1Rs ;)
T1r shoulders are stronger but they don't disperse water as well.
T1r are an ok all rounder but not actually good at any one thing. Rs2 though have a real use in the wet.