ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommendations 13cm Speakers

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Looking for Recommendations on front Mk2 speakers.

Currently have "Ground Zero" speakers and they are total dogs dinner.

Been doing research on "Rainbow Speakers" and looking at Rainbow SL C5.2 speakers.

Anyone have any other Recommendations or suggestions ?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
How much do you wanna spend? I upgraded everything in the Clio to Focal and did quite a bit of sound deadening. I opted not to spend anymore as there's a limit to how good they're going to sound ion the stock locations in a 17 year old French tin box.
Mine are driven by an Alpine HU and Focal 450w amp, they sound well enough for me.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
How much do you wanna spend? I upgraded everything in the Clio to Focal and did quite a bit of sound deadening. I opted not to spend anymore as there's a limit to how good they're going to sound ion the stock locations in a 17 year old French tin box.
Mine are driven by an Alpine HU and Focal 450w amp, they sound well enough for me.
I know of Focal and not cheap are they ha

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I personally really like Infinity Kappa spears with separate cross overs, Focal have always been brilliant too as have Rainbow. Its been many years since I last got into car audio however 10 years ago I also liked the stuff in-phase did, they were good quality (competitive with the big boys) are reasonable money, not sure what they would be like now.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Rather than start a new 13cm speaker thread I thought I'd jump on here. I hope you don't mind.
1 of my front speakers in the 182 is buzzing a bit. The cones ripped.
If I was to buy components with the tweeters. Can I just change the speakers in the door and leave the factory tweeters, will they still work? I don't really want to start to take the dashboard out so thought I'd ask if it's OK to do this?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Rather than start a new 13cm speaker thread I thought I'd jump on here. I hope you don't mind.
1 of my front speakers in the 182 is buzzing a bit. The cones ripped.
If I was to buy coaxials with the tweeters. Can I just change the speakers in the door and leave the factory tweeters, will they still work? I don't really want to start to take the dashboard out so thought I'd ask if it's OK to do this?
Yes they will still work, however depending on how the stock system is setup will alter how they perform. If the OEM signal frequencies are split at the speakers then your Coaxials will perform as intended. If the frequencies are split at the head unit then your coaxials will only be receive mid bass frequencies anyway and your new tweeters won’t have much left to do.
Taking the dash top off is literally a handful of screws and clips. Even someone who has never done it before will have one out in 20 minutes so I’d strongly advise you either fitting a proper component set or just replace the front mid drivers.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Yes they will still work, however depending on how the stock system is setup will alter how they perform. If the OEM signal frequencies are split at the speakers then your Coaxials will perform as intended. If the frequencies are split at the head unit then your coaxials will only be receive mid bass frequencies anyway and your new tweeters won’t have much left to do.
Taking the dash top off is literally a handful of screws and clips. Even someone who has never done it before will have one out in 20 minutes so I’d strongly advise you either fitting a proper component set or just replace the front mid drivers.
So you're saying fit coaxials in the front not component?
I'm not that clued up on audio in cars Tbh.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So you're saying fit coaxials in the front not component?
I'm not that clued up on audio in cars Tbh.
Okay so you already have a component set. These are made up of a 5.25” mid driver in the doors and a set of tweeters in the dash.
Coaxials are a combined mid driver and tweeter in one speaker. I’m saying either fit a whole new component set including new tweeters in the dash or just buy some replacement 5.25” non coaxial mid drivers for the doors.
What are you using to drive them? Stock headunit or aftermarket?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Okay so you already have a component set. These are made up of a 5.25” mid driver in the doors and a set of tweeters in the dash.
Coaxials are a combined mid driver and tweeter in one speaker. I’m saying either fit a whole new component set including new tweeters in the dash or just buy some replacement 5.25” non coaxial mid drivers for the doors.
What are you using to drive them? Stock headunit or aftermarket?
They're the original speakers fitted in my 182.
I fitted a new Sony MEX N7300bd head unit a couple of months ago which already has improved the sound a bit. It's just that I'd noticed a buzzing noise coming from the drivers side door speaker, the cone has a small rip in it. I've repaired it with some tape and that seems to have sorted the buzzing for now so thought I'd look at replacing the front speakers in the near future as I'm sure the buzzing with probably return.
Ive also seen these 3 way Pioneer coaxials that seem an improvement for the rear speakers? They might have a little bit more bass?