ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refurbing Wheels - Brake dust has ruined my wheels

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Painted my wheels two years ago with normal aerosol cans. They were lacquered and the finish on them was good when they were done. However in hindsight I probably should have put more paint on them (one wheel has more paint on and is easier to clean) and probably should have coated them with wax (not sure what it is but it is like a body work wax for wheels to give them extra protection). But I didn't.

They were starting to show their age with the brake dust starting to eat into tho regions with little paint - corners of the spokes. Plus a tyre shop ruined one when changing a tyre. And after yesterday's track day the front are now even worse. It was the first whole day on track with the painted wheels, so I think the heat has baked the brake dust into the paint and now they look dirty, even after a wheel clean. The rears came up really well and have their orignal shine back.

The options are to spank out the money on powder coating. But I would rather spend the cash on performance parts as it is a track car. I am happy to paint them myself again with the lessons I learnt from doing it last time, and not in a pearlescent colour so easier to touch up (that was my fault and a bit of a mistake). And I have more time to do it as the car isn't used daily and can have it wheel-less for more than a weekend and take my time on it.

But has anyone used that wheel coating applied to fresh wheels to help keep them clean? Is it any good and does it stop brake dust settling into the paint with heat? I want something to make the paint "hard" so any brake dust or road grime washes off with minimal effort. Or is it worth just getting them professionally powder coated?

Megane 225 f1
Poorboys wheel sealant? Ive bought some but holding off using it untill i get my wheels refurbed.

If i were you i would just respray them with rattle cans as its a track car, couple more coats of paint and laquer than last time. Im not speaking from experience but thats just my opinion!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
That sounds like the stuff to use! I just want to add a layer to stop things 'touching' the paint work, if that makes sense?

I am also thinking painting to save the money for other stuff. It's never going to win any Concourse contests! It was the lack of paint and then protection that hasn't helped.

Megane 225 f1
Same with my wheels mate. They have never been painted just not really looked after as well as the rest of the car!

I know a few people on here use poorboys so i thought il give it a go. Got it from clean your car and it was £13.95.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Iron x and a damn good scrub.. then clean them normally.. then IPA to get them squeaky clean.. then Gtechniq C5 to seal them properly.

Or just take the missus to the pub with the £30 and 3 hours it'll take you to do all that.

Its a track car.. you're fighting a losing battle :up:

Used and abused FTW !

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
IPA will dissolve rattle can lacquer so go careful.

I'd just send them for powder coating. £40 a wheel is cheap as chips and you know they'll be done properly.

Seal them with a quality product and bob's your monkhouse.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I may get my brother to have a go at cleaning them. He loves cleaning cars. I know he has some wheel cleaner as I bought it for him! If this doesn't work then they are getting recoated.

The rattle can plus protection is looking likely as TEG said use and abuse FTW haha. I want it looking acceptable and not something cobbled together. Same reason I am getting the roof wrapped and not painted.

Just wanted some advice on if the sealant products will do the trick on painted wheels with the heat and brake dust it gets on track.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If it's purely a track car you're pissing in the wind in all honesty.
My mate has a track only car. His wheels were powder coated and polished/sealed and after 10/15 track days they're pitting and bubbling up already.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
If it's purely a track car you're pissing in the wind in all honesty.
My mate has a track only car. His wheels were powder coated and polished/sealed and after 10/15 track days they're pitting and bubbling up already.
It's meant to be a pure track car....but I do drive it when I can as I enjoy it so much!
This is why I don't want to waste time, effort and money on powder coating if it is going to be pointless. The dream would be a second set of wheels where I would not care about, I would just spray them black and not worry about brake dust!