ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Registered Address on Insurance Policy.

I'm sure this is a common question, and while I have done a number of searches on both here and Google, I cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

I will say upfront that this is at the moment hypothetical, my insurance at the moment is all above board and fine.

I am currently insured at my mothers house, in south Manchester. My dad's house, in Sandbach, carries a far better insurance premium (circa £400p/a)

The electoral role, bank details, V5C, drivers license, and insurance policy, are all currently registered at my mums house. If I live between the two, can I insure it at my dads, while still living at both?

If need be I can change the V5C & license to my dads.

I'm looking for advice from people who know their stuff, like I say, I haven't done it, I'm just curious because my premium is due in just over a month and with times as they are, I want to be able to get the best from my insurance.

I would say it needs to be at your mums then as that's where you mostly live. What happens if it's 50/50, what if....

Or just asK your insurer when you renew? As you wouldn't want to change it to your dads, have to claim and them not pay out as you don't actually live there etc etc...

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Just asked my dad who works in insurance, he said if someone was honest enough to say that then they would quote on the highest risk.

As you live most at your mums you're going to have to carry on with that anyway until the situation changes.

I would say it needs to be at your mums then as that's where you mostly live. What happens if it's 50/50, what if....

Or just asK your insurer when you renew? As you wouldn't want to change it to your dads, have to claim and them not pay out as you don't actually live there etc etc...

That's exactly it, I don't want to pay for something that is worthless!

I know, tbh, I was asking here because everytime I ring Admiral (my current insurer) I can't get a word of sense out of them!

Just asked my dad who works in insurance, he said if someone was honest enough to say that then they would quote on the highest risk.

As you live most at your mums you're going to have to carry on with that anyway until the situation changes.

Ah right, so if it was genuinely 50/50 they would pick the higher risk area? Thus carrying the higher premium?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Thats what he thinks he would do, no one has ever been that honest lol

Lets face it, most people would just get a quote on the lowest risk postcode. If you do, and the car is stolen, the insurance company might start asking neighbours if you stay there often, when they say yes, they wont pay out.

If you do, and the car is stolen, the insurance company might start asking neighbours if you stay there often, when they say yes, they wont pay out.

I actually wondered that, like do they go into those levels of checks ect???

I know I'm asking very "daft" questions, but at times insurance companies are so secretive with how they work their policies, I find myself almost paranoid I'm doing something wrong.

They will do what they can to not pay out, depends on circumstances, you can never be 100%. That's why it's best to be safe than sorry :)

That's it, at the moment, it's looking like it will be:

- Manchester postcode: £1270 - all legit and above board.
- Sandbach postcode: £830 - potentially a grey area, spend the year looking over my shoulder, potentially worthless product.

Both expensive tbh! 22, 3 years NCB, 3 years clean license.

FML.

LY 172
id say, as long as you never mention the fact you may have 2 homes to your insurance company, they would have no reason to question how often you live at that address ?

id say, as long as you never mention the fact you may have 2 homes to your insurance company, they would have no reason to question how often you live at that address ?

They do search Internet forums as well though. Always best to be honest.

Tbh internet forums would be the least of my worries, the fact that my voting address was different would bother me more.

I'll be keeping it as it is. We all do what we can to get our insurance down, but I don't want a criminal record/inability to get insurance in later life due to fraud!

LY 172
i guess it could also be down to the wording of your insurance company?

Ie mine is the Address where the car is kept, not where i live.

just a thought. :/

i guess it could also be down to the wording of your insurance company?

Ie mine is the Address where the car is kept, not where i live.

just a thought. :/

Yeah, mine is "where is the vehicle kept overnight"

Being 100% honest, it's in Manchester more often than not. So that's where I do, and will be insuring it at.

LY 172
I played the safe card. As my cars kept in a friends garage about 4 doors down the road, so had to provide that address aswell. Always better to be safe than sorry.