ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remaps/Reflashes/ - What changes?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi, I've been in alot of remapped cars, mainly Turbo'd or diesels and the difference is night and day. I can only talk from my personal experience. I have a K100 in my Civic, which is more of a Daughterboard added to my ECU with a "base" map loaded on. Im sure that the increases would be more with a live map, but anyway, I have a basic remap, it cost me £365.... and to be honest it was the bargain of the century?

The car is NOTICEABLY faster in any gear. It revs higher, it pulls more throughout the rev range, and I've just completed my first tank of fuel since having it, and Im getting an extra 60 miles per tank. I use a different car for work, so my Civic is only used for "fun" lately, so the majority of that tank was some serious driving. It also included a run to an air strip with the Ford boys with a couple of 140mph+ (speedo indicated) runs.

So my cars faster throughout the rev range, in all gears, I've gained around 20bhp (with supporting mods), and returns better MPG....

These results are pretty much what I've noticed on all remapped cars Ive been in, Focus ST's, RS's, Leon Cupra's, Golf GTI's etc

My question is, what do they actually change to yield such impressive results? and why aren't "performance" cars like this as standard?

Just intruiged to see what they change to get these results?

Thanks

172 cup
Hi bud i do ecu remapping , basically modified ignition map and fuel map on petrol cars , same with modern turbo cars but with the boost increased and with turbo diesel cars the boost and fuelling increased , cars dont come like this from factory because of emission regulations . hope this helps ;)

Surely it's also to do with safety and tolerances of parts? Running a turbo engine with a "leaner" map (more power and better fuel economy) is more likely to bust your engine/rods than the standard map. Certainly the case on my S3 anyway.

172 cup
Surely it's also to do with safety and tolerances of parts? Running a turbo engine with a "leaner" map (more power and better fuel economy) is more likely to bust your engine/rods than the standard map. Certainly the case on my S3 anyway.

Tbh it depends on the map and if people get carried away with the boost haha , ive had a seat leon cupra r in for a engine rebuild because of a dodgy map , it ran far too much boost and bent a rod

172 cup
ive remapped many turbo diesel cars for taxi firms and they have never had any problems and there cars have done 200+ k miles

Hi, I've been in alot of remapped cars, mainly Turbo'd or diesels and the difference is night and day. I can only talk from my personal experience. I have a K100 in my Civic, which is more of a Daughterboard added to my ECU with a "base" map loaded on. Im sure that the increases would be more with a live map, but anyway, I have a basic remap, it cost me £365.... and to be honest it was the bargain of the century?

The car is NOTICEABLY faster in any gear. It revs higher, it pulls more throughout the rev range, and I've just completed my first tank of fuel since having it, and Im getting an extra 60 miles per tank. I use a different car for work, so my Civic is only used for "fun" lately, so the majority of that tank was some serious driving. It also included a run to an air strip with the Ford boys with a couple of 140mph+ (speedo indicated) runs.

So my cars faster throughout the rev range, in all gears, I've gained around 20bhp (with supporting mods), and returns better MPG....

These results are pretty much what I've noticed on all remapped cars Ive been in, Focus ST's, RS's, Leon Cupra's, Golf GTI's etc

My question is, what do they actually change to yield such impressive results? and why aren't "performance" cars like this as standard?

Just intruiged to see what they change to get these results?

Thanks

What supporting mods do you have mate? and what power figures does your car have now?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
What supporting mods do you have mate? and what power figures does your car have now?

Just a Filter and catback Exhaust. Supposed to be around 220bhp BUT in terms of driveability the improvement is ridiculous. The power is everywhere, the V-Tec comes in lower, it revs to 8600rpm etc. The Figure itself isn't that high, but the car is substantially faster than stock!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For Diesels the main reason is nox emissions specifically, the diesel is prevented from burning properly to keep these down, when we remap a car we can burn the fuel more fully which yields gains in both power and economy, which the manufacturer would have liked to have done too but isnt allowed to cause of the rules, its not that remapping companies are better than manufacturers, just playing by only MOT rules not by type approval laws.

Petrol cars will rarely gain significantly on fuel economy, the manufacturers dont have the same issues with those.

Clio 182
Fuel saving on a Petrol car is nigh on impossible, not worth the risk either.

They've also got to sell their cars in many different countries where fuel quality varies a lot. Depending on vehicles, there are many different things that can change, some vehicles act better than others depending on what's been changed in the map, I know vehicles where only changing Lambda tables yields a good increase in power, others it does not. You can also imply increased performance by just changing pedal response.

Things such as: Drivers wish (pedal response), smoke limitation (the amount of smoke a diesel allows), torque request/demand from the engine at exact RPM, torque limits, fueling, (ti map), boost, and boost limits can all be changed within a diesel car (ECU Dependant ofcourse) There are so many parameters that can be changed, it's literally endless. DSG gearboxes can also be changed in VAG stuff.

ECU's also structure themselves differently, depending on the manufacturer.