ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remote Desktop Help

Cant connect to my home PC over the internets.... :( Its fine on the home network, but I'm buggered if I can get it working from work.

Work tell me that ports 3389 arent blocked nor are 5900.

On the router I've forwarded ports 3389 TCP and set a opened up the firewall to point at the IP of the machine. What else could it be?

Any ideas?

Black RS200
If it works ok on the internal network (ie on the 192.168.??.??) then its down to port forwarding on ur router.
Are you 100% you have the correct extrenal ip?

Cheers, yup, I can ping my router via a DNS I've setup. I can also log into my router remotely to get the IP addy.

Am I correct in thinking that the port should be forwarded using TCP and not UDP?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
you can get to your router? well then it must be a firewall issue. is it opened up on the router aswell? if you've got the port forwarding on and firewall open on your router problem is with your pc, or in some cases it can be the ISP, we have users here on sky who can't use RDP cause of something they've done.,

Fiesta ST
RDP isn't really that secure, best to lock down to be only accessed from a whitelist static ip (eg your works IP) and maybe even changing the default port number, see thousands of attempts on that port every day on server/firewall logs

DMS

A thirsty 172
RDP isn't really that secure, best to lock down to be only accessed from a whitelist static ip (eg your works IP) and maybe even changing the default port number, see thousands of attempts on that port every day on server/firewall logs

If the OS you're accessing is running Windows Vista, 7 or 2008 and you're using the Terminal Services 6 client (downloaded as a Windows Update), RDP will use NLA and SSL / certificate authentication to encrypt the connection and traffic. It's still not perfect, but it's much more secure than it used to be.

To the OP... is the Windows Firewall on your PC configured to only accept traffic from your home network? If so, it may be getting blocked due to the source IP not being on the local subnet.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
My guess is port forwarding will be setup correctly but a firewall somewhere, either windows or on the router, will need to be configured properly.

Cheers guys, I've tried it on both my windows box and linux box. No joy so tried this team vewier and its ace. Worked first time!