ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Hammerite from block?

Cooper S JCW
Can anyone recommend a good product/technique for removing Hammerite paint from the top of the engine block (RenaultSport logo'd surface)?

I was thinking cellulose thinners and loads of rags?!?

Chocolate Bar™
that'll work but it wont be pleasant. hammerite themselves sell a thinner which might be worth trying, but it will probably be a conventional solvent based thinner.

otherwise try sanding as much off as you can, but it depends if you want to remove it all/ redo it in black/sort the lettering etc.

Cooper S JCW
I am going to spray it the same colour but I wanted to use enamel instead so I really need it all gone. I get the feeling that sanding would take me forever!

Chocolate Bar™
why would you want to use enamel. from the results ive seen hammerite spray does a really good job

Cooper S JCW
Is it just a case of unbolting the engine cover,removing and leaving the engine covered with a plastic sheet while the cover is sorted or is there something more complicated than this to consider?

Cooper S JCW
WhenI say engine cover I mean the metal Rocker cover underneath the plastic one - do I just undo the bolts and lift off?

R35 GTR
Munchkin said:
WhenI say engine cover I mean the metal Rocker cover underneath the plastic one - do I just undo the bolts and lift off?

as said by makavelli on another thread to me. Unplug everything connected and unscrew the bolts. Dont do it while its hot though.

Cooper S JCW
Right I went to Halfords and got Hammerite thinners and Halfords cellulose thinners. I already had some Nitromors at home. I tried the cellulose thinners first and it worked ok so 4 cloths later and blisters on my fingers tips it is nearly all gone.

Thanks for the advice everyone and here is my tip:

Don't try to use paint on Hammerite on your rocker cover when it is bloody boiling hot weather - it will look crap!!!!!