ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

removing tar stains from bodywork and alloys

hi everyone what is a good removing polish for the wheel and bumper as i have a bit down one side never noticed it before cheers thanks...will it come of alloys??? what is a good alloy wheel polish???

super resin polish works wells for me. wash the wheels with Auto Glym machine cleaner, then polish them with SRP then protect with extra gloss protection or rim wax off autopia-carcare. either that or claying, but havent tried that option yet as my car is too clean :D

there are some "dissolves tar instantly" products but i dont like them, tried a few, ruins the paint work.

jamie

Last edited:

al

ST on the way...
Autoglym Tar Remover is spot on for...well...removing tar lol

I quite like Rimwax for the wheels :D

(Rich doesn't like it but L200 Steve off DW does)

106 GTi
I revisted Rimwax the other day as a one step product on my mates new Monaco 172. Ideal as a one step - reason I dont use it often as it polishes and protects in one so can't be layered like the Poorboys Wheel Sealant or Swissvax ones can be. On my car I like to do the AG SRP, EGP x 2 or 3 and then the same with a wheel wax.

I would just polish and seal your wheels though with the same products as can be used on the normal paintwork. Wheels are finished in the same way as the bodyshell so you may aswell treat them the same. Polish with Autoglym Resin and protect with the Autoglym Extra Gloss.

Tar removal be it bodywork or wheels Autoglym Tar and Adhesive remover is spot on.

al

ST on the way...
I wonder if you can layer M seal over the rimwax......i'm currently revisiting that :)

al

ST on the way...
Well last time I tried it, it was rubbish but I'm going to try it out for a few weeks on the bonnet, get a few layers on and see how it goes.

rim wax any good rich?

thinking this wknd, megs gold class, clay, megs80 by PC, SRP, EGP as much as time allows, p21s and same on wheels (except the p21s)

jamie

106 GTi
As said Rim wax works ok as said as a one step product.

I prefer the Poorboys Wheel Sealant or Swissvax Autobahn as I can use them over my AG SRP and EGP base on wheels.

I would not bother with 80 on the wheels, AG SRP and EGP will work fine.

al

ST on the way...
From DW:

I use rim wax ,its made to withstand the heat generated from your wheels and minimises the brake dust that gathers on your wheels. I find it makes cleaning your alloys that much easier. A lot of normal waxes and sealants are not made to withstand any extreme heat and evaporate easily.

I would not bother with 80 on the wheels, AG SRP and EGP will work fine.

sos yeah meant just that on paint work and just the srp and egp on the wheels. gonna take them off and do the insides properly rich, cheers again

jamie

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
chem guys hweel guard is good stuff i dont use anything to clean alloys aprt from a rush and a jetwash

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
if u just soak them with a bit of shampoo u dont need the rim cleaner it will jet off

RB 182
I sometimes apply the spray of CitrusWash while I'm applying it to the rest of the car instead of the wheel cleaner and as you say does the same job really, I think it's probably down to the WheelGuard making it easy to remove the dirt.

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Any of the acylic sealants are easily able to withstand the heat on wheels and form a very good undercoat for further layers of wax. As Rich says if the aim is to build up layers of protection I'd go Poorboys or Swissvax. The Rim Wax and CG's Wheel Guard do clean also so durability isn't as high, but as a one stepper is great.

On mine I use the Carlack Systematic Care and Long life sealant as the base coat and top with Swissvax (used to be Poorboys). Doing a detail for someone else I use the CG's Wheel Guard.