ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio 1.2 Gear Selection Problems?

Clio, 306
Hi.

Sorry I understand this is called Clio sports forum and I have a 1.2 lol and apologies it this question has been asked a thousand times.

I have a 2011 Clio and it has only done 25,000 miles. When I got in it the other morning I really struggled to select first and second gears and it has been the same ever since, but now it struggles to go into 3rd also.

Anything to do with the gear box I understand is going to be costly so now I'm s***g myself, is there any thing I can try? Is it likely to need a new gear box, I would hope not after 25k, I understand I'll probably need to get this to the mechanics but any diagnostic is going to cost a lot as I understand they'll need to remove the box to inspect the problem.

Could it be a cabling problem or am i just trying to dream up a cheaper easier fix solution.

Thanks

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
When was the fluid last done?
Does it happen when warm as these are an ass when cold?
How's the clutch?

Clio, 306
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, ive personally never done the oil, would it be worth doing to rule that out.
Its only 5 years old, I guess theres not a reserve under bonnet for this, do you have to go under the car and remove bolt?
The clutch seems fine, done the reverse test and there was no grinding.
Unfortunately it seems to do it all the time, regardless of temperature.

Thanks again.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
To replace the oil it's underneath mate.

Have you got a garage to either replace the oil or check the gear linkage is working as it should be?

Clio, 306
No not yet, didn't want to send it to a garage and ask to fix it unless they needed to replace the gear box which I cant afford to have done right now. I think this may be my next step, to narrow down the problem at least.

Clio, 306
No sorry, I meant gear box oil and gear linkage sorry lol. Suffolk, Ill try find a reliable garage as the last one I used done more damage than good. I shall check oil over the weekend and see if theres any obvious defects in the cabling.

Udder Nonce

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
You can always get the oil changed, and then refuse to have any work done if they insist on the box. Although, that might be what it needs. Pretty low mileage though so i doubt it! I think @imprezaworks is right in thinking it's a linkage issue.

Clio, 306
Took it to the garage today, they checked the gear linkage and they were fine and moved freely, checked the oil level too which was fine and told me he was 80% sure it was probably an internal gear fault. He said it might be worth having an oil change first, I guess that may be the next thing to check but its not looking good.

Phoned Renault up and they didnt want to know. Its crazy how the gearbox can be damaged after 25k miles. Can anyone recommend a company which sells reconditioned gear boxes fitted?

monaco 172
I can't see 25k old oil been a problem to be fair.

I would have thought its a linkage issue but it could well be a premature box failure if its had a hard life

Hello

I know I’m a little late to this Clio party but I bought a Clio 2011 in Essex and I have the same issues described. Did you ever find the issue?