ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault did the cambelt...

Clio 172
Evening all.

Started working on old smokey today, whipped the cambelt off ready for new seals and pulleys etc.. I have a receipt for the last cam belt she had, from a Renault dealer in Hertfordshire. 10 years ago ( 20k miles )

When I went to lock the cams with the horse shoe tool the cams weren't lined up, crank locked a tdc. (Attached pic ) is this normal? I assumed that if it was timed properly when the crank was locked a TDC the cams would be correctly lined up?

Attachments

• 20201115_145509.jpg
    20201115_145509.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 230
  Clio 172
I'd you've released the cam pulleys, the cams will rotate slightly due to the valve spring pressure moving them.
Yes that's exactly what I did, I was just surprised that the cams weren't in sync, is this a trait of the VVT? When the intake and exhaust cams were released the cams didn't spring back in line, I had to re align them. No issues

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Yes that's exactly what I did, I was just surprised that the cams weren't in sync, is this a trait of the VVT? When the intake and exhaust cams were released the cams didn't spring back in line, I had to re align them. No issues

Yeah, the pulleys are floating so once you undo them the cams a free to move and they usually do a small amount (which is probably what you're seeing).

If you wanted to check the original timing of the old belt, you could have left the pulleys as they were and just tried slotting the horseshoe tool in when locked at tdc.

Clio 172
"If you wanted to check the original timing of the old belt, you could have left the pulleys as they were and just tried slotting the horseshoe tool in when locked at tdc"

That's exactly what I did mate, and the cams were out.. thats why I was asking. I've re timed it now by releasing the cams. I have a bill of nearly £1200 for a cam belt change from Renault which the previous owner gave me. I just contacted him and asked If it ran ok after this work was done, guess what he said!!! Shocking state of affairs if you ask me.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
"If you wanted to check the original timing of the old belt, you could have left the pulleys as they were and just tried slotting the horseshoe tool in when locked at tdc"

That's exactly what I did mate, and the cams were out.. thats why I was asking. I've re timed it now by releasing the cams. I have a bill of nearly £1200 for a cam belt change from Renault which the previous owner gave me. I just contacted him and asked If it ran ok after this work was done, guess what he said!!! Shocking state of affairs if you ask me.

Ahh ok.

It's possible it could have moved over time. I'm not sure how much the belt is likely to stretch over time.

It would have ran ok as it was tbh, most people wouldn't be able to tell with typical rough idle that they have at the best of times.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
belt stretch or dephaser wear can cause that and after ten years not suprising really

Clio 172
belt stretch or dephaser wear can cause that and after ten years not suprising really
With just shy of 20k Miles? Seems a bit excessive dont you think? The new seals turn up tomorrow ( I forgot to order them!) The crank seal was a bit wet. And of course the balancer has the standard cracking on the rubber... do you think its worth changing it now? It's only going to be a weekend/ track toy. I can live with a lumpy idle. Or has anyone had one fail?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
With just shy of 20k Miles? Seems a bit excessive dont you think? The new seals turn up tomorrow ( I forgot to order them!) The crank seal was a bit wet. And of course the balancer has the standard cracking on the rubber... do you think its worth changing it now? It's only going to be a weekend/ track toy. I can live with a lumpy idle. Or has anyone had one fail?

I would change it if you can find one.

They do fail when the outer separates from the inner.