ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Locking Key

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hey,

Title is meant to say locking nut (title fail). When trying to get the locking nuts off to remove my alloys, it just slips. It tightens them up fine, so I guess it has worn down on one side of the teeth. I asked if I could have a look at my neighbours, as he has a mk2 ph2, but they are completely different, which I know makes sense. Is it possible to source a replacement, i.e. are all locking nuts from 1999 1.6 Si's the same (I'm guessing not), or do I have to speak to Renault directly?

Thanks
Ian

Ian

Focus TDCi
Thanks for replying to my PM Brun, I'm currently in the process of removing them. :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ok I've just been told by some guy that he's going to have to cut two of my alloys in half to get them off my car as the locking nuts are on too tight. He's tried taking them off with a Snap-On impact driver or something like that and apparently they're the first things he's not been able to get off in six years of owning it. Now I know they were only tightened by hand, but with one of the really long handled sockets. Is cutting the alloys really the only way to get them off? They're only 14" Si (Silvia I think they're called) alloys, but I was planning on keeping them as a set! :dapprove:

Da

Less
You can order a replacement from Renault Ian using the code for the key (assuming you have it).

Mine was about £20 and took 2 weeks direct from France.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I wouldn't know where to look for this key number tbh, my car has no service history or anything.. the perils of buying cheap I suppose. I can't believe that the bolts won't undo though, is it worth taking it into a garage?

i took mine down to a local garage when i lost my key, used a special tool smashed onto the face of the nut, then bites into it as they turn, removing the key.....some places also said i would never get them off, it took the guy 5 minutes to do all four with the right tool

RAC/AA carry a similar tool also, as i got a flat and my locking key was 100 mile away at home....he smashed into the key using the same method, tool bites into it then it unwinds, shouldnt matter how tight it is if its the right tool for the job..

Ian

Focus TDCi
Will have to tell my bro to get it sorted tomorrow for me then. Whereabouts was the garage local to you Jord?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Cheers dude, will try my local first, but if all else fails I'll get him to go there. It's ridin' rat on two old and two new wheels at the mo, not ideal!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Brother's been ringing me all day about various things that people have been wanting to do to my wheels, from heating them up to cutting them in half. Fortunately I told him to go somewhere reputable and they managed to get them off by welding a nut on to each bolt. The old set are therefore still in one piece and hopefully this will come in useful for people in future. ;) Thanks for all the suggestions,

Ian

Skoda Fabia vRS
Can't replacement keys be ordered up to key number Brun?

there is no part number for most of the new ones, they come from Italy, with no price or anything to sell it to the customer, all we have is a fax, in italian, which we send off to Italy, they then come back to us with a cost, we then have to send payment to Italy, then they send the key, a very long drawn out process which is riddled with potential problems, so basically, its very hard to get a key anymore, i believe the last one took 6 months to arrive