ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Type D antifreeze, is it the same stuff as the Comma Xtream G48 stuff?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
As thread title ^^, anyone know the answer? I just want a topup of concentrate so its good for the winter...

Seat Ibiza
Doesn't say it on the spec list mate?

GSF sell the stuff.

[h=1]
Glysantin G48 by BASF is approved by: VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda (TL774-C), Rolls-Royce (from 1998), BMW/MINI BMW (N 600 69.0), MAN (324 NF), MAN B&W (List 3.3.7), Mercedes-Benz/Smart/Maybach (325.0), MTU (MTL 5048), Opel/Vauxhall until 2000 (B 040 0240), Saab (6901599), Volvo (1286083 issue 002), Porsche up until 1995
[/h]

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Just go to renault, about £12 for a 5 litre bottle, quality stuff and you know its the correct coolant for the clio engine

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Just go to renault, about £12 for a 5 litre bottle, quality stuff and you know its the correct coolant for the clio engine

Yes thats fine and dandy, but I dont want to flush the system at the moment as its bloody cold outside! i just wanted someting concentrated that i could use to top up the header tank and get me through the winter. i will then re-do it with the real stuff next year in the warm lol. After a bit more looking, it looks like the Renault Type D coolent is OAT based, thus making the coolent in the title uncomatible. So i am now looking at the Halfords Advanced Antifreeze & Coolant Concentrate which appears to be compatable (if anyone knows this for a fact, please confirm!), but its red :S

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I didnt mention flushing the system mate, i have a 5ltr bottle of the genuine correct type coolant that i use to top up whenever needed, it lasts forever and i know the only coolant in the system is the proper stuff

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
ah right, sorry I should have mentioned that the system isnt low, its just weak according to a tester kit. So im looking to strengthen it up for the winter...

Clio 197
I would just flush it, it's not a big job and there is a guide on here - you will have piece of mind then for the cold weather ahead. :)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Use only type d mate don't mix it .
Buy a big bottle of type d now top up and have enough left Doyle flush next year.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
OK I have read up about the Halfords stuff a bit more, and it seems its pratically the same thing just a different color. they are both OAT based so there should be no problems mixing them, so im going to go for that at the moment as its not the right time of year to be outside doing a fluids change. Afterall, its only coolent! I cant see the performace of the car being reduced or any damage veing incurred over a period of 5 months use.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just flush it out and renew. I did both my cars yesterday and it took half an hour per car and all I needed was a hosepipe and a pair of pliers.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I dont think you guys are realising how cold it is here... 2C and falling!! my fingers will snap off from frost bite!

BG 182
Type d is glycol not oat.Do not put anything oat based in your car unless you are going to flush very very thoroughly beforehand.

I have made this mistake before when I was in a rush,luckily I realised within an hour or so and rectified my mistake.Out of interest I kept some of the mixture that came out which was approx 50/50 glycol-oat mixture and within a couple of days you couldn't see into the bottle for gunk.If you have already topped up using oat then get it out of there asap as the gunk will be forming everywhere including block waterways/rad/heater matrix etc.

Cheers Ross.

Plodwyn

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
Doesn't Bluecol do an universal antifreeze for topping up, says compatable with all types??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I just don't understand why you'd risk it though??

Its a £20 1 hour job maximum. Why risk your coolant turning to rice pudding and clogging your engine/rad up??

BG 182
After my experience above I wouldn't bother with anything other than type d,at £12 for 5 litres its not worth bothering with anything else.The gunk that comes from getting it wrong really is horrible stuff,will see if I can find the bottle I kept to take a pic.

Cheers Ross.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Type d is glycol not oat.Do not put anything oat based in your car unless you are going to flush very very thoroughly beforehand.

I have made this mistake before when I was in a rush,luckily I realised within an hour or so and rectified my mistake.Out of interest I kept some of the mixture that came out which was approx 50/50 glycol-oat mixture and within a couple of days you couldn't see into the bottle for gunk.If you have already topped up using oat then get it out of there asap as the gunk will be forming everywhere including block waterways/rad/heater matrix etc.

Cheers Ross.

Thanks for the advice, but im not convinced you know what your talking about as OAT can be glycol based!!! As stated on the halfords website, 'Halfords Antifreeze Advanced is an Organic Acid Technology product based on ethylene glycol. It is quite similar to RX Type D'.

However, Dan and Fred are both ranked highly in my mind so I didnt buy the halford stuff afterall! However, I had a look under the bonnet today and I cant even see the bottom rad hose connection! It looks like I have to take apart half the engine just to get at it! Has anyone with experience have a guide to what need to be removed and what needs to be done? So far I have Freds old instructions of:

- remove bottom rad hose and drain coolant
- remove t/stat and drain coolant. t/stat is on the engine-end of the top rad hose. the housing's held on by 3 bolts and you'll need a new rubber seal for the stat when you put it back in (wont be doing this as im not that fussed about a little bit left in there)
- flush through the rad and the t/stat housing with a hose until both are running clear
- put it all back together. remove the bleed screw/bolt from the side of the t/stat housing
- slowly fill with new coolant until you're getting an uninterrupted flow from the aperture. replace bleed screw
- continue filling until exp. tank is maxed
- having just checked this out, the w/shop manual then tells you to start the engine (not before!) and run it at a fast idle (2.5k) for 4mins, topping up the tank as reqd.
- replace cap and run engine until fan cuts in (manual suggests 20mins at 2.5k - take it for a run around the block to help it out)
- top up as req'd once it's cooled down and check for leaks
- keep an eye on the temp gauge for a day or two, to be sure it's OK

Lionel Richie
i wrote that? you sure? i don't use posh words like aperture!!!

airbox has to come out, easy apart from that

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Cheers Ross.

looking at an Alfa 156 that seems to have a mismatched mix like this in it, the header tank is FULL of gunge, and the stat never closes so it never gets warm. Owner's got headgasket paranoia, but I think with a really good fluch out he'll be lucky

BG 182
Thanks for the advice, but im not convinced you know what your talking about as OAT can be glycol based!!! As stated on the halfords website, 'Halfords Antifreeze Advanced is an Organic Acid Technology product based on ethylene glycol. It is quite similar to RX Type D'.

No problem on the advice,happy to help! What you have quoted from the halfords site means bugger all to be honest,it still can't be mixed.Oat is glycol based but it isn't compatible with regular glycol stuff.

Glad you decided not to go for it.Changing is quite straight forward,take the airbox out and the bottom hose is at the bottom right hand side of the radiator as you look down into the engine bay.Unless someone has had it off in the past and put a jubilee clip on it will be one of those awkward sprung clips,if you don't have the proper pliers then mole grips will do but it can be a bit awkward.Ist a pretty easy job to be honest,once you have the airbox out the way you will be able to see whats what.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
No problem on the advice,happy to help! What you have quoted from the halfords site means bugger all to be honest,it still can't be mixed.Oat is glycol based but it isn't compatible with regular glycol stuff.

Glad you decided not to go for it.Changing is quite straight forward,take the airbox out and the bottom hose is at the bottom right hand side of the radiator as you look down into the engine bay.Unless someone has had it off in the past and put a jubilee clip on it will be one of those awkward sprung clips,if you don't have the proper pliers then mole grips will do but it can be a bit awkward.Ist a pretty easy job to be honest,once you have the airbox out the way you will be able to see whats what.

By far the most helpful post! Kudos and much respect! Im now convinced you know exactly what your talking about! :) I will give it a go and post back my results (in an event of failure I will take it to renault so the proper stuff is still used).

@Fred, the text I quoted was expanded by someone else from one of your posts, which in its whole read: 'na its not bad, pretty straight forward, lower rad hose off, thermostat off, hose pipe through the heater, refill and bleed'. Your right about no big words! lol.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
One more question, can i let the antifreeze just flow out without worrying where its going or does it need to be directed to protect paint/metel etc?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
just let it pish everywhere thats all i do. ive not read this full thread but remember and bleed the system when you're done to get all the air out, bleed screw is above the gearbox where the top radiator hose goes into the block from memory

BG 182
You don't need to remove the s**t guard/plastic undertray as there as a gap between it and the subframe just below where the bottom hose joins the radiator,also any coolant that does manage to find its way onto the s**t guard will soon run out once the car is driven.As Martin says it does just tend to piss out everywhere.Best to try and catch it the best way you can is its not very nice stuff,especially for cats/dogs and if it finds its way down the drain it doesn't do the fishes much good either!

Cheers Ross.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
This is a very interesting topic, and I've spent a couple of sad evenings researching this, and please find my findings below.

There are a number of aftermarket Type D coolants on the Market.

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/f4ba2843-bd03-4276-8ba4-16b914c09b35.pdf

https://partsfinder.bilsteingroup.com/en/article/febi/26580

and of cause the original Renault one:

https://renault.quickfds.com/out/19410%2D75074%2D17348%2D013438.pdf

Febi Tech. Repsonse, is that its safe to mix the Febi one with the Renault one.

Looking at the ingredient on the Safety sheet of Febi we see the following differences:

Febi

https://e-katalog.intercars.com.pl/download_PDF/313533303413107

Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate instead of Sodium 2-ethylhexanoate

And Glycerol in the Renault one

Now digging deeper, and looking at another aftermarket coolant,

https://sct-online.sct-germany.de/SCTApprovalControl/module/msdsImport/msds_upload_tmp/MN4212_EN.pdf

Mannol

· Dangerous components: CAS: 107-21-1 EINECS: 203-473-3 ethanediol STOT RE 2, H373; Acute Tox. 4, H302 20.6–26.1% CAS: 3164-85-0

EINECS: 221-625-7 Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate Repr. 2, H361; Eye Dam. 1, H318; Skin Irrit. 2, H315; Aquatic Chronic 4, H413 <0.55% · Not dangerous substances CAS: 22445-04-1 EC number: 607-079-6 Potassium succinate Skin Irrit. 2, H315; Eye Irrit. 2, H319; STOT SE 3, H335 ><0.55% CAS: 112-34-5 EINECS: 203-961-6 2-(2-butoxyethoxy)ethanol Eye Irrit. 2, H319 ><0.0275%

CAS: 112-34-5 EINECS: 203-961-6 2-(2-butoxyethoxy)ethanol Eye Irrit. 2, H319

Conclusion

You can use the Red OAT aftermarket ones so long as they are approved to meet Renault standards and TYPE D equivalent

Febi said safe to mix, but I would flush using tap water or Di-ionsied water from Tesco / Halfords

Then you are safe to go

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
further research:

I believe Renault Type D to be of HOAT that contain Silicate

so Equilivant will be the Febi approved, or SWAG approved or Manol G13 green coolant

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
one more thing, you are not to mix OAT with HOAT or IAT coolants, as HOAT and IOA contain silicates which don't react very well with Organic Acid tech

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ive seen a few alternatives to type d. Price difference is negligible though, im sure the febi stuff was more expensive last time i seen it in euro.