ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing Aftermarket Exhaust!?

2003 172 Cup
Hi all,

I purchased my first Clio today, a 2003 172 Cup with 92k and signed myself up to the forum! The plan is to use as my daily for limited miles but to work on it for track use.... I have virtually no mechanical know how but intend to learn as I go.

The first thing to address is the exhaust which is way too loud. It has a Ktec Stealth exhaust with a sports cat.... A few questions please;

1. Can I replace the Ktec with a standard exhaust leaving the sports cat in place?

2. Does the cat contribute to the increased noise?i.e if I replace just the cat back element will it eliminate the increase noise?

3. Are the non OEM exhaust from Kwik - Fit etc as good as Renault, more so do they impact on performance?

4. What would I be looking at for cat back or full system, online looks like £450 for full system, non OEM.... Does that sound cheap!?

Thanks in advance!

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
I recently bought the same car with the same exhaust although I have a decat. Mine only seems loud cruising at 3300rpm and above as the exhaust seems to resonate with the empty boot floor and wheel well, and amplify the noise in the cabin (it is nowhere near as loud outside as it sounds inside). I'm looking at soundproofing material for the boot above the exhaust and spare wheel well and my brother is sorting me a spare wheel to see if they make any difference as I don't mind the exhaust but after these options, the only remaining one is a standard 172 exhaust.