ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing rear shocks

Is there a guide on replacing the rear shocks on a Mk1 172? Would seem like a simple job for ones self todo rather than paying a mechanic..

Thanks.

Focus ST
Had mine fail on my 182. Watched to mechanic change it, it isn't hard at all.

Two bolts. One in the boot (under the cone shaped plastic at the sides). Another just on the inside on the rear wheel.

From what I saw you don't have to even take the wheel off.

Think your only really problem would be thinking about upgrading or keeping standard.....:S

SLK 350
2 Bolts total.

With car unjacked go behind the car and look under and behind the back wheels, you'll see the strut.

Undo the bolt holding the strut arm to the hub.

Jack up car, and take wheel off.

Undo bolt in boot, under rubber cap, whilst holding the strut with someones help.

Move it around the brake/abs lines being careful not to damage them.

Job done, take your 40 minutes a side if that.

Working from memory thats all it takes.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
You dont need to take the wheel off at all mate. Just undo bottom bolt then top bolt remove shock. To refit bolt in the top bolt then the rear bolt and thats you!

Ok cool. thanks heaps. So yes, I have the question now to just get the standard set from renault or go uprated. Guess if going uprated, i'll be lowering it with eibiach springs. Are the rear springs difficult todo at the same time?

Focus ST
markh said:
Ok cool. thanks heaps. So yes, I have the question now to just get the standard set from renault or go uprated. Guess if going uprated, i'll be lowering it with eibiach springs. Are the rear springs difficult todo at the same time?

They are definitly a quick job. Got mine done by Fred. Took him about 4 minutes per spring. Front ones take the longest (if your going to lower the rear, you'll have to do the front too).

I believe there are no bolts to remove for the rear springs.

SLK 350
Their are no bolts for the springs, you just have to lever the axle with the car jacked up to release the spring. They're just located in an interference fit via a collared holder, around which theres a rubber mount.

IMO you ideally need the wheel off for s strut change, otherwise feeding the strut past the lines and hub is a pain in the arse. And for a spring change you definitely need the wheel off.

Neither job is time consuming but the first time, you're going to spend most of it picking your arse while you think of something. Full rear strut and spring change, circa 1.5 hours if your taking your time.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Maybe its different on 172s then but Ive changed springs a good few times and shocks over on a couple of occassions as well and never taken the rear wheels off!

SLK 350
Technically you don't need too. But it helps to give you access to the area, which given the time it takes to whip a wheel off, is well worth it.

Just don't see how you can pull out the old strut without taking the wheel off, or having it jacked upto high heaven.