ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Resurrecting my Clio 182 after 2 1/2 years

Clio 182
Ok, I was very unhappy to leave my 182 out in the cold, but I unfortunately had no choice.

I had the opportunity last summer to work on the car and get it back on the road but then I had to move house and the key for the car became lost...it was the only one that came with the car so had to get some money together for a new one which unfortunately didn't happen...

Anyway, good news is I finally found the key and after 2 1/2 years the beauty still turns over and the brakes aren't seized!

Anyway, some serious TLC is required, and I've bought Ametech Engine Restore and Oil Anti-Leak to add to the oil I'm intending to change in the engine ASAP. My mate is saying that I should dump the brand new oil after 1000 miles and do another oil change....is that absolutely necessary?

Any other advice and suggestions is more than welcome, also need to find a mechanic willing to do a Cambelt change with me providing the bits to use. Oh, and anyone have a dephaser going cheap? 😁

I'm not sure why you'd need to add 'Oil Anti Leak' or 'Engine Restore' - if rubber seals are perished, replace them instead of adding unnecessary gunk to your engine that may damage it in the long term, and I don't understand what there is to 'restore' in a lump of metal moving parts.

If the engine has remained a sealed unit, with no damp or water ingress into the cylinders and/or head (which may have formed a thin layer of oxidisation), all should be fine.

On that basis I don't think you'd need to do another oil change after 1000 miles. That said, a filter and oil is what, 30 quid if you DIY? so won't break the bank as an extra precautionary measure.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, just give it a normal oil and filter service and send it

no such thing as a 'cheap' dephaser although they're not exactly mega money new. but pointless fitting a used one, use the right bits and new Renault for all the cambelt stuff as its critical to these engines to keep them healthy and not bendy valvy

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I don't really get the point of this thread. Just do a light service and drive it to find out what else it needs?

I'd personally do brake fluid, and a coolant change. And I would certainly buy another f**king key.

Take it to someone who knows what they are doing and ask what it needs to be reliable, fun and safe.