ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Retired the PH1 Workhorse

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Never saw you're original thread but really good write up :)

I assume it feels alot more grown up than a 172, partly due to the size I suppose. What made you pick this over a Megane 250/265/275 out of interest?

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Never saw you're original thread but really good write up :)

I assume it feels alot more grown up than a 172, partly due to the size I suppose. What made you pick this over a Megane 250/265/275 out of interest?

It certainly feels easier to live with compared to the ph1, although the fuel consumption did take me by surprise !

At the time my 172 gearbox was starting to give up the ghost and it was the 3rd or so major issue I’d had in a short space of time and I got sick of being under it.
The idea was to get something new with a warranty so I’d not have the faff and at the time the new Megane RS was still a bit off.
I’ve had a few issues with this one, but I’ve not had to get my hands dirty yet ha

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
24k mile update, car was due it's first MoT but was slightly delayed due to covid.

No other issues have developed bar 1 - The Supersports have failed again.

Checked the tyres today and once again they have failed after covering the same mileage as the original set, - it appears Supersports may not survive long with this geometry given they are meant to last up to 30k

Not sure where I stand with warranty now, but it leaves me in a bit of a naff situation, I really like the way the car goes with the MPSS (But changing the front axle every 12k is daft) I'm wondering if the Pilotsport 4's may be the way to go.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Pilot Sport 4s last me very well tbh. Although the life of the MPSS wasn’t exactly terrible. PS4 is a miles better tyre in every other department anyway.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have any issues with the MPSS cracking around the outside edges on the shoulder of the tyres as well?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I changed mine from supersports to pilotsport4 and the difference was night and day, dry and wet! The PS4 was a much better tyre imo!

I had a low speed, mid bend understeer from new that vanished with the ps4

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Do you have any issues with the MPSS cracking around the outside edges on the shoulder of the tyres as well?

Mine have not shown any cracking on the outside, but the insides have failed twice now. Need to get the car into the garage to start a new claim with Michelin.

Reading reviews on Michelin webpage does show other people having early failures as little as 5k miles, these are on other vehicles.

Last edited:
  LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I changed mine from supersports to pilotsport4 and the difference was night and day, dry and wet! The PS4 was a much better tyre imo!

I had a low speed, mid bend understeer from new that vanished with the ps4
Interesting, did you go for the PS4 or the PS4S ? I've read the PS4S are the natural successor to the Supersports, though I'm not sure on available sizes.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting, did you go for the PS4 or the PS4S ? I've read the PS4S are the natural successor to the Supersports, though I'm not sure on available sizes.
It may have changed but I couldn't get a ps4s in the size the trophy ran so it was just the normal PS4.

Reading online most people said the PS4 was ALMOST as good as the supersport in the dry and night and day better in the wet but I found it to be noticeably better in both conditions.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Sadly the PS4S is only available in a select few (two I believe) sizes in 18 inch. More sizes only from 19 inch upwards.

Alternative might be Goodyear Supersports, altough the PS4 is supposed to be brilliant albeit a bit more comfort oriented from what I've read.