ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio182
I’ve posted a couple of times recently on here about rotary/DA polishers and read with interest threads about ceramic coating. And now - finally - I’ve come to a (personal) conclusion about the way forward for me....

BACK TO MY CLAY BAR AND AUTOGLYM!

I’ve had some great results in the past using my trusty clay bar followed by AG Super Resin Polish and finishing off with Extra Gloss Protection. Super glassy paintwork and a wonderfully deep showroom shine which takes little maintenance once a decent coating has built up.

Wish me luck, and look out for some photos this weekend!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Got to be honest, I have a DA, various pads, polishes etc and I still end up using a lot of the AG range due to ease and time constraints. Get good results with little fuss.

I do accept with more time and some other products I can get better results, but is it that noticeable, not really.

The DA is good at removing paint defects though such as swirl marks and scratches, which is almost impossible by hand.

Clio182
Got to be honest, I have a DA, various pads, polishes etc and I still end up using a lot of the AG range due to ease and time constraints. Get good results with little fuss.

I do accept with more time and some other products I can get better results, but is it that noticeable, not really.

The DA is good at removing paint defects though such as swirl marks and scratches, which is almost impossible by hand.
You’ve just stated very eloquently exactly what I was thinking. A decent DA - with “bits” - would have set me back around £160, and then there’s the time factor in doing the polishing. I think I’ve made the right decision.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Been Cleaning cars to various standards for the last 20 years.
The brand I always go back to is Autoglym. Yes there are better products out there but like you say, for speed and ease, they’re a hard brand to beat.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
@AndyPembs182 . If you want ease of use, try a farcella G3 clay mitt. Piece of piss to use, takes no time at all to clay your car. Use it after you've washed your car , keep the paintwork wet and there's no chance of marring the paintwork . I know the cleaning gurus will be screaming nooooooo.o_O

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
@AndyPembs182 . If you want ease of use, try a farcella G3 clay mitt. Piece of piss to use, takes no time at all to clay your car. Use it after you've washed your car , keep the paintwork wet and there's no chance of marring the paintwork . I know the cleaning gurus will be screaming nooooooo.o_O

Quick and Easy but f**k me does it marr the paint, I'd go with good old fashioned clay.

Reactions: MLB

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
As above - I’ve been using AG for around 10+ years. That’s my go to brand.

I had lost interest in cleaning cars the last 2 years, but now I’m getting back into it, I’ve gone straight back to AG.

It gives perfect results for a daily driver.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Quick and Easy but f**k me does it marr the paint, I'd go with good old fashioned clay.
You must have been doing it wrong if it marred your paintwork 😜 keep it well lubricated and you can't go wrong. So much easier than messing about with a tiny bit of clay that you will inevitably drop on the floor at some stage 😉

monaco 172
I'm not a fan of claying unless you plan to do a correction afterwards.

I've found decon product like iron out seem to get rid of most of the bonded contaminants anyway.

I'm a big fan of super resin polish, fantastic stuff especially if topped with a sealent.

I recently did my car with srp followed by a layer of meguiars hybrid ceramic wax and the finish and water beading it amazing.

Renault Clio S
OK, 1st post since June 2015 believe it or not. Pretty much gave gave up on car detailing when I bought a new (old) house which demanded all of my time, work and money. As a result I spent more time waxing my new toilet seat at weekends and left my old X-red MK2 to suffer at the hands of a local car wash (yes, it was a very expensive bog seat).

Anyway, after nearly 15 years of MK2 ownership I traded in the old banger last week for a four year old MK4 in French Blue. And now that I have some time on my hands again at weekends, plus some decent paintwork to protect, I'm planning on doing the work myself.

Pretty much always used AG products in the past and will probably continue to do so like the OP, however the curing time for EGP makes it a pain when applying multiple layers I find. I'd heard Auto Finesse Tough Coat was a good option?

Clio 172 Cup
I have got a whole box full of wax polish and sealants raging from fusso to auto finesse. The auto glym HD has been the best quick to use wax on the Clio. The Fusso worked well on the type r different car paints suit different products . I will still continue to waste money on different products tho 😂