ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rev limiter coming in early

Noticed today, engine was nice and warm (had been in the car for about 30 mins) and hit an empty bit of road, thought id stretch its legs to blow away the cobwebs etc. Never paid too much attention to the rev limiter but im sure i never used to hit it just shy of 7000 rpm. Im sure it used to kick in over 7000 rpm. anyone else had this happen ???

Clio 197

As far as i remember, every gear was slightly different (guess it depends on the load on the engine)

Only ever had it in the red once, changed down to 4th @ !10 (whoops).

Its colder weather now so it may take longer to warm up, if you were in first and hit the limiter that would be normal as the tacho cant keep up with the revs.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 05 October 2004

if you were in first and hit the limiter that would be normal as the tacho cant keep up with the revs.
lol, nor can the tyres!

hmm it was second where i noticed it to be fair it cut out absolutely spot on the red line but im sure before (probably in third gear) it was at slightly higher revs

Renault Laguna Coupe

Im sure 3rd has a higher limit than 2nd. You should get 88.8mph on the limiter in 3rd (thats a true speed - not your speedo).

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

in 1st mine can be anything between 5.5k and 6.4!

i think it revs quicker than the needle can keep up! tested it a few times!

The ecu apparently does know what gear your in and adjust the rev limiter (alos depends on coolent temp) this only applied to 172/182 not sure about Valver and Williams though.

I cannot work out how the ECU knows, none of the ECU inputs are from the Gearbox or carry a gearbox signal though.

My old fiat coupe adjusted the turbo boost according to how quickly the engine revs went up, so 1st and second had less boost than 3,4 and 5. Must be along the same idea as that?

just did a test on this on the way home, nice straight bit of road, dip the clutch and floor the go pedal so it bounced of the limiter a couple of times ( i know, i shouldnt anyway the limiter seems to be at bang on 6800 rpm... can someone else try this and find out what happens i.e. where your limiter kicks in ? i did some careful 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear tests after this and it seems to be identical for all those gears .. is this early and is this maybe related to oil level ?

nice one, just make sure you are careful, quite enchanting that rev counter, hence why i said straight road which is better than a bent car that i nearly had when i cooked up the idea on 8 miles of b road twisties on the way home

172 Cup

Im always hitting the rev limiter in the Cup, cant see any harm. Anyway Im sure its about 7250 - 7300 something.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

1st, 2nd and 3rd all the same.... Hit the limiter bout 7250rpm....... But to be fair mine has taken ages to warm up before, when i first got it it was about 7 minutes before u can use the full potential, but now its at least 15, winter is coming!!!!!

Hope that helps

have found the same as little newms. seems to be early in 1st probabley just because the needle lags and 1st runs out of puff with in a second. but the rest of the gears from what i can tell seem to limit to about just over 7000rpm. i always hit the stupid limiter. the car just needs that extra little more limit just so that when ya change up ya back in the 5000rpm range.

Nippy white cup

I have the Rsport on mine and the limiter is definatley different dependant on which gear your in....third is probably 7600/7700 but 4th is very nearly 8000! (125mph)

Chris