ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rock hard suspension,... wanting change, opinions needed, What to do? help!

Csp

ph1
Hi guys/girls, So about just over 3 and a half years ago, i bought a set of Spax PSX Ride Adjustable Suspension, lowered by about 55mm (seems such a long time ago now wow). They made the ride ROCKHARD and i mean solid, if you drove over a pebble you could feel it, its a terrible ride, shakes you to bits even on smooth roads, so after so many years im wanting to change from this to something more "comfortable" but i still want lows. I dont want collies, mainly because they cost alot, and they would be a waste for me as i dont do track days or thrash it around corners. Im not really looking for another suspension kit as they will probally be a hard/solid ride again.

Ive been thinking about lowering springs, have thought about these for a while. I've been scouring the web and on these forums to see what others people are using and the main brand seems to be Eibach. They look great so i may get some of these springs (Sportlines). My 2nd issue is.. what shocks/struts to use. Could i keep my Spax shocks on and use these springs with the spax?? (maybe it will still be a hard ride?) Now i do have my standard suspension in my storage that was taken of about 4 years ago, Are lowering springs okay or safe to use with standard shocks?, will they last, will the shocks get damaged from the springs?.

On a side note, i dont know how old or how worn my standard suspension is, apart from 1 shock (which is 3 months old) that i had replaced about 5 years ago that was on the car for 3 months before i bought spax. So im in the dark, if i get the standard suspension re-fitted with the Eibach's, a shock may fail in 3 months time or so. Would it be a good idea to buy brand new OEM shocks for my car to go with the new springs??

Add info:
Car - clio 1.4s
Year - (2000) W REG

Sorry for the essay, i really tried to keep it short as.
Thanks if anyone can help. :S:S

Csp

ph1
Edit: Another thing, ive read on here, the sportlines only drop the 2.0 sports about 30mm, but will drop none sports right down to 40-50mm? Is this true

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
What settings are your shocks set too?

I run the PSX kit on my 182 but it only lowers it around 30mm at most. I find mine fine to live with, yeah its stiff and not as comfortable as many other cars but I didnt buy mine for comfort ha. Mine are around 12-14 clicks.

Csp

ph1
Just gone to have a quick look, i set one of them all the way to the softest setting and that came to 17 clicks. Maybe mine are getting old and worn now, how long have you had yours on for?

Mec 350 slk manual
Had mine fitted last week and now set around 10 clicks and setup seems about right to me

Csp

ph1
So really you need to buy uprated shocks, which are around 100quid each, comes to around 400ish, plus 150 for the springs, comes to around £550, cant you buy collies for that price?! Came across someone saying they use Bilstein B8 (Shortened Shock Absorber) with their sportlines, but still, 100 per shock. Im stuck on what to do.

Csp

ph1
Yes. 30mm max on standard shocks.

What about Prolines with standard shocks then, would that be a better option, some sites say they lower 40mm, and others say 30mm:S

I read somewhere on here that on a sport, you dont get the full mm drop. But with a non sport you get the full drop? Why is this

Thanks

Cup In bits
What about Prolines with standard shocks then, would that be a better option, some sites say they lower 40mm, and others say 30mm:S

I read somewhere on here that on a sport, you dont get the full mm drop. But with a non sport you get the full drop? Why is this

Thanks

Weight of engine.

Upto 30mm-40mm lower use standard shocks, anything lower use uprated shocks and springs or coilovers, same rule applies for pretty much every car. Simple really.