ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rocker cover gasket

2000 clio 172
hi all i have a slight oil leak through the rocker cover and have been trying to find a rocker cover gasket for my mk1 clio 172 havent had any luck yet is there any place i can get on could anyone help cheers

VaVa
Mines leaking. I thought I'd read before they didn't use a gasket. b****cks lol.

I remeber changing on on my old fezzy. £4 for a cork gasket and a ten minutes to swap it. Those were the days lol :(

CB600FS
Chances are its been done already but If its a Ph1 172 and you haven't had the belt changed yet, its only about 45 minutes extra job if the belts are all off, locking tools are in.

If its leaking around a bolt head - a lot of people try taking each bolt out (not all at the same time) and covering it in sealant and then going round and re-torque the bolts one by one as you put them back in.

I remeber changing on on my old fezzy. £4 for a cork gasket and a ten minutes to swap it. Those were the days lol :(

Haha I changed my mates 1.4 RT one the other day, 6 10mm bolts, off, wipe round with a rap, on, bolted down done!

and its a 7hour job (give or take) to reseal it! (no i'm not joking!)

Only Renault would design a rocker cover like that with no gasket and use sealant :dapprove:

So most people have to go to a garage to get it done

7 hours jeez. maybe if I did it myself lol!

I think id just try nipping the bolts up a quarter turn in the affected area to see if that helps first.

ITB'd MK1
7 hours jeez. maybe if I did it myself lol!

I think id just try nipping the bolts up a quarter turn in the affected area to see if that helps first.

not really a good idea, they have a specific torque as they are the cam retaining bolts. Most of the leaks I've seen have been from the breather box that's bolted to the cam cover, removing that and re-sealing it is not such a huge job, and it never hurts to clean out breathers while you're there

mine was leaking through a couple of them i nipped them up no bother and they stopped leaking. But Like you say you do have to be careful but a quarter turn isnt going to cause a problem

Lionel Richie
never seen a blocked breather or a leaking breather cover on an F4R

they sometimes leak through the bolts which is easy to sort, but if its the rocker cover leaking then either live with it, or put new cams in :)

problem is renault use a paint roller to apply the sealant at the facotry (not joking!) its rare you find one that doesn't leak!

In all the time i've worked on them, i'm only seen a few 'leak', and only then is it from the cam cover.

Ill snap your bolt in a minute!

Good point though lol. I suppose you do need to use a little bit if common sense here

edit: really? out of my two engines the first one was fine the second leaked out of two of the cam cover bolts. unles it was removed at one point in its life.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
agreed the cam covers usually leak with the roll on sealant from renault.

however we replaced a breather cover seal on a car saturday as it was leaking into the spark plugs...

I guess the one you had in last sat would account for the 'most of the leaks' that danny has seen?

And i've had plenty of plugs snap on me.

3 in 2 days wow, I must of seen all of 3 leaking ones in my life, i think you've found all the leaky ones in the UK in the last 2 weeks.