ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rockingham isn't a car park!

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
So, there are a lot of rumours floating around the internet about Rockingham's fate. Most people seem to think it's currently a car park, and that's for good reason, too, because it was, under the previous owners. But now it's owned by the Constellation Group, which is the parent company to the likes of BCA and cinch. And as an employee of the latter, I can confirm it's looking like a race track again. If I can convince the bosses, it might just stay that way, long-term...

DSCF5499.jpg

DSCF5497.jpg

Got the little Clio up to 120mph around the oval! Rest assured I also ventured onto part of the infield circuit, too. Y'know, to clean off all the rubbish. The front left tyre wasn't so keen on the idea and decided to remove some of itself after a handful of laps...

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So, there are a lot of rumours floating around the internet about Rockingham's fate. Most people seem to think it's currently a car park, and that's for good reason, too, because it was, under the previous owners. But now it's owned by the Constellation Group, which is the parent company to the likes of BCA and cinch. And as an employee of the latter, I can confirm it's looking like a race track again. If I can convince the bosses, it might just stay that way, long-term...

View attachment 1561309

View attachment 1561308

Got the little Clio up to 120mph around the oval! Rest assured I also ventured onto part of the infield circuit, too. Y'know, to clean off all the rubbish. The front left tyre wasn't so keen on the idea and decided to remove some of itself after a handful of laps...

Are you Rylan in disguise?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Swore they closed this place about 3 years ago?! Rumour was more dirty new build houses.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Swore they closed this place about 3 years ago?! Rumour was more dirty new build houses.
They won't build houses there, phase 1/3 of the adjacent development isn't even finished

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Wow. It's so great to see Rockingham at least driveable again. It's an awesome place and like others I regret not doing a trackday of my own there, but I have driven it - at 15mph as a schoolkid in a Shell Eco Marathon car. Camping behind the pits and sitting in the stands at 6am watching the sun rise was epic.

I can't see it reopening as a track though sadly. When it first opened it had everything, the euro nascar stuff, BTCC and all sorts, and it didn't work financially then. However I guess that with the costs of actually building the place no longer over people's heads, it could be viable.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Hopefully Blue/50 cent come back for a reopening!

As I recall the stands are unsafe which was never addressed.
I've driven it a couple of times, first track I ever drove (996 turbo). Would love for it to reopen as it is a 5 minute drive for me.

I never really visited it much when I was younger and really regret it.

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
The land isnt suitable to build housing on, site of the old steel works, its full of nasty s**t!

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
I do hope it comes back, did plenty of bike track days there and its right on my doorstep.

To be honest the last time I rode there it was apparent how much circuit maintenance was required, lots of sunken tarmac.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
The reason I want it to remain open long-term - it's a playaground for review videos. This one's just gone live on a channel that, to be frank, is starting from zero. So any views and shares are much appreciated! I do hope to get the Clio into a comparison video one day, just to show how great the old hot hatch formula still is :LOL:

Clio V6
I enjoyed watching a Euro NASCAR race there. At the time it had great facilities an a friendly open atmosphere in the pits

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I hope it comes back. Was somewhere I never got to drive, be there as soon as poss if it did open again.
Also, fair play to you for doing your bit to convince someone to open it again. More than most of us have done/can do about it. Hopefully you're powers of persuasion stay strong!

X J07HAM

ClioSport Club Member
  RS 200/RS 182
Watched my first ever live race here when they done the BTCC. Was awesome to watch as a child. Would be a dream to go back there and get some pictures with my Clios!

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Did my very first track day at Rockingham and really enjoyed myself as a rookie at the time. Be great if it re-opened, surely someone can make a viable business model out of it instead of a car park/storage facility?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
been a couple of times when FCS was there 2009 and 2010 I think I was there? always thought it was a pretty cool place if a little disused! used to like watching the BTCC races there on TV