ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rockingham Race Report

Turbos.
So Rockingham was my first race of the season as i couldn't attend Silverstone, our driver coach taking my place. Neither my dad or i have been to Rockingham before, so we were booked on the Friday testday for some practice...

This season we treated ourselves to some new helmets! I love the matt finish but its already marking :dapprove:

P1060373.jpg

We were meant to be revealing our new Geartronics paddle shift system for this race but when the car was undergoing testing last week 5th gear broke in the sequential. So despite having fancy carbon paddles, we were stuck with the old 5 speed manual.

P1060317.jpg

The Britcar organisers checked our figures after the last race claiming we were too fast (despite not winning!) but they realised they made errors with their calculations and the car was given the all clear. We were made to close up the slats in the wheelarches though...

P1060320.jpg

Otherwise, the car was in fine fettle bar the front which is in desperate need of a respray to be fair!

P1060316.jpg

P1060318.jpg

P1060319.jpg

P1060314.jpg

P1060324.jpg

Testing went well, we were very upbeat as from our stop watch timing seemed to be the quickest car there. We even managed to match the times of a Supercharged Honda'd Elise in Britcar GTs.

However, qualifying the next day resulted in a disappointing 3rd. Our old adversary's in a BMW (ex-Nascar champion at this very circuit) and Micheal Caine in another M3 (who normally races in the Porsche Carrera Cup) were too good for us, about a second better.

Unfortunately i've got no pictures to share of the race but it was pretty exciting! I managed to overtake Caines' M3 on the second to last corner to steal 2nd.

We were chuffed with the result but there was a small price to pay, the gearbox seized as i entered the pits. The guys went to work overnight...

P1060375.jpg

P1060378.jpg

P1060376.jpg

They did a great job, especially as the bumper needed fixing after Mike Jordan (of BTCC fame) had turned in on my dad.

We had to wait until today for the second race. We were feeling confident for another 2nd because of the tyre wear the heavier BMWs would suffer from later in the race. As a result, we decided i would start this time to see if we could shake things up. Unfortunately the BPM Clio was stranded on the warm up lap. After hearing on the radio i thought the race would be restarted. Seeing the red lights on the start/finish gantry seemed to confirm this but everyone went! I had backed off and i stupidly let four cars past me!! I didn't realise the red lights went out as the first car went over the line... d'oh!:quiet:

I got stuck behind Caines' BMW and the field was getting away, but in my 45 min stint managed to claw back 2nd place with the leading BMW just in front as i went into the pits. We then held the lead for 10 minutes as my dad tried to keep the fastest BMW at bay. Inevitably though, it got past but at least we were in 2nd with a full lap between us and 3rd. It was just a matter of bringing the car home...

That was until the alternator went on us! Frustratingly my dad had to pull over and retired with 15 minutes to go. We were gutted, as we also had fastest lap which would have meant an additional point :(

It was a shame, but we still enjoyed dicing for position in both races. We pushed ourselves hard and i'm pretty shattered! Was a beautiful 3 days though, with Rockingham being pretty awesome too. Nice to catch up with Fred who helped the BPM team as well!

Some of my photos of the other races...

P1060363.jpg

P1060369.jpg

P1060384.jpg

P1060356.jpg

P1060355.jpg

P1060353.jpg

P1060351.jpg

P1060350.jpg

P1060348.jpg

P1060344.jpg

P1060344.jpg

P1060338.jpg

P1060336.jpg

P1060325.jpg

172, Tiguan
Shame about the second race Rob, but the pace of the car must be encouraging for the rest of the season. Hope to get along to watch you at some point this season.

And i'm very jealous!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
excellent, looks like a lot of fun. shame about the faults but i'm sure they'll get sorted.

E90
Yeah, i watched the first race this weekend on Motors, Cor Eusers Marcos in the pic I think haha. This race will be on too, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a glimpse of Fenn.

You coming over here for any?

Turbos.
Will be at Spa for a 3hr in about a month, next year might do some invitation rounds in the DSC when the NSX is finished!

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
You wanna swap? i will race for you.
I am really good honest!
Am really jealous would love to do it.
And although the start wasnt the best, it definitely seems promising

Suzuki Swift Sport
Cool! I recognise some of the people in your pics! Im friends with John Danby! pics look good!

Great write up, always look forward to these.

What's your calendar like for the rest of this year? Will have to get along and try and get some pics this year.

Turbos.
Thanks dude, i used a spell checker and everyfink!

How do you know John then Nick? Hes a good lad, one of the reasons we went with him is that he was part of the Autobytel team at Lotus that built our car. He also knows Gavin Kershaw well who went on to develop his own car towards what ours is now.

Here is a link to the Britcar calendar, our local race being Brands.
http://britcar24hr.co.uk/cms/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.23

Once the sequential is fully working again we should be a second quicker, also hoping to re-develop the underfloor aero for the next race. The long straights at Spa mean we need to make the most of our advantages in the bends!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
How comes you had to cover up the wheelarch slats Engle? Danger of throwing stones at other cars?

Turbos.
Excellent, you doing Combe this year?

Yep! 8/9th August, will be there on the 6th for a testday too.

The slats reduce lift so have a handling benefit. We will fill them in properly and will amend the whole front aero without it being so obvious!