ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rotten Egg Smell

Hi can anyone help ?.my son has a 1999 1.2 clio 8 valve.every time he starts it up the inside stinks like rotten eggs,i know the smell has something to do with the catalitic converter and the sulphur in unleaded petrol but why is the smell getting inside the car and does anyone know how to stop it .i have a 52 reg 1.2 16v and have no problems whatsoever.

Cheers Gordon

Normally when the engine runs lean it produces sulphur dioxide, when it runs rich, say when you are braking or stop at lights it runs richs. This changes sulphur proporties which gives the nasty smell.

I think your sons clio is running too lean, get it checked out.

If its anything it will be the cat, but mine does not smell that bad, not enough to complain about it. If its that bad you may have a problem.

2012 WRX Waggon

the smell is Hydrogen Sulphide....it is actually a very toxic gas. Problem is in high concentrations it causes nasal paralysis (u cant smell it) - rapidly followed by collapse and death.

but dont worry...its probably nothing ;).

u sure he aint got some dead animal stuck in there ? and when it warms up the smell lingers out ... just my opinion anyway :D

i think its the battery overcharging, im a bus driver and sumtimes the buses stinka rotten eggs and the mechanics tell me its batteries, dunno if thats ne help to ya?

Thats the same gas as the cat makes, cats do smell sometimes nothing to worry about but it sounds like you should get that checked, as rob said.

Is most of your driving low mileage trips? (ie 2-3 miles?)

If so, this is whats causing your smelly problem (longer distance driving cures this as the cat gets bedded in).

Tony

Thanks for all your feedback,the car is only used for short distatancess.may need a good run to blast out the exhaust.in the mean time will be driven with window open as dont want no gassed by rotten eggs type incident "LOL"

Cheers Gordon

G

Gezzer172

I get the eggy smell from the cat when i am reversing with the window wound down. Only time i get it going forward is when the smell isnt coming from the car but one of my passengers...

Just so long as there isnt any follow through...

best way to get rid of it is give the car a good run (1-2hrs) this will burn off all the sh|te from inside the cat

if you do this every couple of weeks you shouldnt have a problem