ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rough Idle (worse than normal!)

RS Clio 172 Cup
As long as I've had the car (a Ph2 172 Cup) it has had a pretty rough idle, obviously worse when cold but still not good even when warm. It causes a fair bit of vibration in the car, and from the outside it sounds like it's running on pretty rough cams! I've recently fitted a new exhaust and decat so it now sounds even worse. I want to fit engine mounts soon, but am worried the vibration will be even worse!

The noise is very similar to the one in the video below (ScarySquirrel I hope you don't mind me borrowing your video from an old problem thread!), except it does not die away once warm as it does in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxUj6NZVGVY&feature=player_embedded

It is NOT caused by a misfire - I recently had an injector related misfire which I have sorted, but the idle was not changed (it did it before as well). I replaced most of the ignition system as well. Because of this, I can rule out the following:

NOT caused by:
  • Injectors
  • Coil pack
  • Leads
  • Sparks
  • Throttle body
  • Exhaust blow
The car runs sweet as a nut over 1500rpm ish, so I don't think it can be timing related.

So my thoughts are:

• Map sensor?
  • Lambda sensor?
  • Any other sensors?
  • Battery earth?
Sorry for the long thread, if anyone has any advice or has sorted a similar problem I'd be grateful to hear from you!

RS Clio 172 Cup
Mine is also a bit spluttery when cold , doesnt go over 3k revs till its warm and really splutters when it gets to the 3k rev's when foot is flat to the floor ,

clio 182 'full fat'
did you solve this, my 182 is very rough idle, the tailpipes judder up and down on idle too! is it normal?

RS Clio 172 Cup
Not yet unfortunately, it's still pretty rough. A mate of mine had another 52plate 172 Cup, his a fair bit better. Ive just bought a lambda sensor off eBay, not new but it was cheap, I'll see if it makes any difference and if so buy a proper new one. And failing that it should be remapped in the next month or two so see if that sorts it!

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
RS Tuner remap cured my poor hesitation when cold and increased idle speed ;)

Clio mk3 16v 1.2
RS Tuner remap cured my poor hesitation when cold and increased idle speed ;)

Sorry to jump on! I’m driving just a standard 56 plate mk3 but am having massive problems with juddering especially when I’m using the clutch, revs fluctuate and car judders like mad! Is getting it remaped a good idea to solve this? I’ve tried replacing coils and everything and still nada 😤