ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Router set up question...

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
I've just moved back home with my parents and in their study they have a wired Netgear adsl router and basically I want internet in a room at the other end of the house. What's the best way of doing it? I have my old adsl router (same as my dads one in the study) but realised that you can't run two at the same time...actually I couldn't even get it to work when the other one was off lol.

Should I just buy a wireless adsl router majiggy to put in the study then a wireless card for my laptop? If so any suggestions on what to buy? Or can I do something else...without running a network cable. I have a phone point in my room also.

Ta guys :)

Trophy #267
there isnt an easy / cheap fix. Personalli id run some cat5 around the edge of the house as would be as much hassle in the long run but leave you with a fully working connection which isnt going to drop. However seeing as you dont want to do this you need to go either the traditional wifi route which means a new router or AP AND some form of wifi dongle in the pc in your room, or a pair of wireless net via power devices as dafthead posted.
Either way your going to have ot fork out a bit and have to settle for a 'suspect' connection when ne1 uses the microwave, dect phone or similar with a wireless setup

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Lol ta for the reply's guys...i might look at running a cable or the option that dafthead posted. Cheers

R

rich[182]

Wired over wireless any day of the week for me, and I do networking for a living lol

VaVa
A friend of mine said the same - He does similar for a job and says there's still nothing more reliable than good ol CAT 5 cable. lol.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
rich[182];3166116 said:
Wired over wireless any day of the week for me, and I do networking for a living lol

agreed, but for a home connection it's OK

Wouldn't rely on it at work - network manager ;)