ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
We've just got back from a 5 day cruise on Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas - sailing from Southampton we went to Rotterdam, Bruges, Cherbourg and La Havre.

We was very lucky with the weather and had some stunning sunsets at sea - we've sailed with Royal Caribbean before (on the sister ship to the Independence).

44609332585_712f403fc1_c.jpg
isle of Wight at Sunset by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr
45523048071_3857c6dfe5_c.jpg
Cherbourg Cruise Terminal at Sunset by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr
31650551568_2b01d99f50_c.jpg
Independence of the Seas - Port of Rotterdam by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr
43706029080_90fdd82e15_c.jpg
Independence of the Seas - Port of Rotterdam by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

All taken handheld using a Canon 6D with a 17-40L for the wide angle and a 100-400L for the Sunset.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Still one of the biggest cruise ships around!

Completely full but didn't feel busy at all - it's doing a 2 day cruise starting this afternoon and then heading over to the States for the Winter.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Still one of the biggest cruise ships around!

Completely full but didn't feel busy at all - it's doing a 2 day cruise starting this afternoon and then heading over to the States for the Winter.
I love big ships, but you don/t really get to see many in Yorkshire.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
I think our @Nik went on this or one very similar

Great pics @.Simon

Yep, we spent 4 weeks in total on 'Indy' last year, it's a great ship, even better now after the recent refit.

I'm off tomorrow for 12 nights across the Atlantic on the Symphony of the Seas, the largest ship in the world, can't wait! ?.

I'll see if I can get some decent pics and start a thread

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
That’ll be a great trip, we really wanted to do a Transatlantic cruise but with the wife being a teacher we are always too late / early with her holidays!

We booked a 2 week cruise for next August whilst we was onboard - proper spare of the moment and will cost us an arm and a leg. Off to Scandinavia and the Baltic’s (with an overnight stop in St Petersburg!) - we’ve gone all inclusive this time which will be a big bonus.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Yeah we tend to do a lot of Transatlantics as they are usually quite a bit cheaper and the boats are generally less busy. The all inclusive deals are good, it's so much nicer not having to worry about the drinks bill at the end and not having to sign for every drink you buy. We'll certainly be making use of it next week ?

We've yet to do a Baltic's / Scandinavian cruise, we keep looking at them but always end up booking somewhere warm instead. Looks like some amazing scenery, should be a great cruise.

That’ll be a great trip, we really wanted to do a Transatlantic cruise but with the wife being a teacher we are always too late / early with her holidays!

We booked a 2 week cruise for next August whilst we was onboard - proper spare of the moment and will cost us an arm and a leg. Off to Scandinavia and the Baltic’s (with an overnight stop in St Petersburg!) - we’ve gone all inclusive this time which will be a big bonus.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
All I can think when I see such enormous boats is 'Titanic' or 'The Poseidon Adventure'... lol

Bugger being on one of those 1500miles out at sea!

9 straight days at sea coming up for me :p These things are so big and stable with their stabiliser fins out that you can't tell you are on a boat, they barely roll at all. They feel amazingly safe places to be.

Reactions: Ben

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Are you literally sailing to America then flying back @Nik ?

The in-laws do a lot of cruises, something that hasn't really appealed to me before, especially as I spend most of my time on a boat at work but she's trying to convince me to give one a go through Germany up to the Fjord's.

Some of the ships look absolutely superb to be fair.

Some lovely shots @.Simon

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Are you literally sailing to America then flying back @Nik ?

We have a couple of stops on the way Barcelona > Malaga > Port Canaveral, Florida > Miami, Florida and then when we get off the boat in Miami we're spending a couple of weeks at Universal, Disney etc. We usually try to tag something on while we are there to make it worth while rather than just flying home again.

Some of the ships look absolutely superb to be fair.

Here's Symphony :

Looks amazing, we just done a Mediterranean cruise with the MSC and absolutely loved it. booking one with RCCL for next year, cant wait!

Reactions: Nik