ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS 200 Manifold

Clio RS200 Cup
I recently took my car to a local garage is at sounded like the exhaust was blowing. The previous owner had told me the first silencer had been removed (which seemed to be fairly normal for this car). When the car was on the ramps I was horrified to see how it had been done. Looks like he's used some tin snips to open up the first silencer, scraped out the guts then welded it back up (poorly). Its now leaking like a sieve. Is this the normal way of removing a silencer???

I have been informed that the manifold goes straight in to the first silencer so in order to replace it, I need to replace/modify the entire manifold. Other than K-tech's silencer by-pass pipe (which I have already inquired about) does anyone know of an aftermarket manifold without a built in silencer? Trying to avoid lots of welding if possible.

Photo below of what I've done to bodge the holes! Cheers

Attachments

• Cat.JPG
    Cat.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 347

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
From my experience all 200's I've driven sound like the exhaust is blowing on a cold start lol. But that is a terrible job, looks like they've just put a load of pug in it.

Clio RS200 Cup
The pic is just a bodge to stop it from blowing, I stupidly didnt take a picture of the work underneath but the previous owner has cut a square out the bottom, removed the inners then welded it back up. His welding is just full of holes so I could really do with a new silencer.

Biggest issue, first silencer is part of the manifold so to replace with a pipe I need to remove the manifold, cut the current silencer off, then weld a pipe in (Which seems risky) or buy a whole new manifold from renault (costly!)

Just wondering if there is an aftermarket manifold which doesn't come with that silencer? I don't really want it anyway :)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Removing the manifold will be an arse ache mate. Without seein the extent of the bodge it's hard really to understand whether you need to remove it or not. I imagine your probably will.

Clio RS200 Cup
Im lead to believe that I will need to remove the manifold. For some bizarre reason, the first silencer is part of the manifold, hence having to remove the manifold to either weld a pipe on, or to replace the manifold.

I guess its gonna be a ball ache either way :( Was just wondering if there was a purpose built manifold instead of modifying the standard one lol

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Im lead to believe that I will need to remove the manifold. For some bizarre reason, the first silencer is part of the manifold, hence having to remove the manifold to either weld a pipe on, or to replace the manifold.

I guess its gonna be a ball ache either way :( Was just wondering if there was a purpose built manifold instead of modifying the standard one lol

You may be able to get something fabricated by the likes of Ashley exhausts etc... But I have no idea on the cost side of things.

Clio RS200 Cup
Pre-cat/silencer, I've heard it called both lol. Unfortunately, the way its been removed has ruined it and now it needs replacing as its blowing in a lot of places!

Clio RS200 Cup
I think Im going to have to bite the bullet and get KTEC to cut the manifold and install their bypass pipe.. 5 hours labour though!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I went to a scrappy with some of my bits and took it with me but they couldnt give me a price as they didnt know about it :s

Its a pre cat so im not sure if its worth as much as an actual cat.