ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rs2 inlet

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Nottingham... full address is on our website (see profile).

emezehyz.jpg

Chip-mk1

Apart from that Russian guy who made epic figures with forged setup, I've never been that impressed by any of these cam 'choices' for the RS2...

img001.jpg

Standard cams with 50mm spacers on standard timing, I'm almost certain that with playing with the timing you could make some better figures, without spending a fortune on camshafts that loose you torque.

Nick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The standard profile is pretty decent though. The RS2 just doesn't seem to respond to wild cams as well as ITB's do Nick but you are right.

I must admit I'd like to see what mine does on Surrey's dyno as it's another respected setup.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
The standard profile is pretty decent though. The RS2 just doesn't seem to respond to wild cams as well as ITB's do Nick but you are right.

I must admit I'd like to see what mine does on Surrey's dyno as it's another respected setup.

IME Surrey is consitantly 5-10bhp higher than RST. They both seem consistant in their results which is what matters I guess.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Just a general observation. Bound to be anomalies obviously.

RST has a more up to date and comprehensive weather station or something doesn't it? But I won't pretend to understand it all.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
For the first time (in a long time) I'm actually happy with the car. It's always been run and mapped by Paul so the gains are consistent. Just from driving it you can feel the car has totally changed character on this inlet which for me is a small triumph as a lot of people hate it.

I am not dismissing or hating on the Surrey/Standard Cam chart Nick but my setup on standard cams also pushed 195.3HP (Historically on TDF's rollers) yet on Pauls it struggled to do 186HP so something amis there. Tweeking the timing is just such a pain in the arse, not to mention costly in travel and remapping, the camshaft upgrade was just an easy way to add some actual improvement in the the midrange and peak values. They came as part payment on a job to so not really a huge expense. I would just like to see what it would do elsewhere.

Blyton next Sunday will be fun though I suspect.

I am not dismissing or hating on the Surrey/Standard Cam chart Nick but my setup on standard cams also pushed 195.3HP (Historically on TDF's rollers) yet on Pauls it struggled to do 186HP so something amis there. Tweeking the timing is just such a pain in the arse, not to mention costly in travel and remapping, the camshaft upgrade was just an easy way to add some actual improvement in the the midrange and peak values. They came as part payment on a job to so not really a huge expense. I would just like to see what it would do elsewhere.

So you're saying your car made 195bhp on TDF's rollers (which are a different set of rollers to RST/SRR and well known to throw out some bullshit figures given what all the Clio racecars have made), and you think that's a reflection of what SRR's roller would show?

For reference my standard length RS2 made 191bhp / 151lb/ft at RST on one of the hottest days of the year, which says to me that if the engines good/timings right then you'll make good figures.

There's no doubting it was a cheap upgrade for yourself, however I think for a full paying customer its a lot of money to shell out for not a lot of gain.

But if you're happy with the difference it's made Mick then that's the main thing, however it's probably the lack of torque pre 4k and then the rise in torque from the (laughable) 197 cams torque that's made you feel like its much quicker.

Nick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
No, thats not what I said at all so don't twist my words Nick... re-read it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
These engines vary loads, so comparing one engine to another is a bit pointless TBH, and comparing between rollers only makes it worse.

Mick's car on the same rollers, is way better with the cams than without so it makes them look a good option?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Is there a way of knowing whether an engine is decent when viewing? Compression test maybe? ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is there a way of knowing whether an engine is decent when viewing? Compression test maybe? ?

Comperssion test will tell you if its internally in bad condition or not, but Ive yet to find anyone who can identify why certain examples make a good few bhp more than others, even when both compression test fine and both have had cam timing checked etc, it must be down to production tolerances somewhere I guess, millerins cup for example, nothing seemingly special about it, but made 182bhp and 165bhp at SRR, which is just monster for a standard car with exhaust / filter / JMS map

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd like to take one of the "strong" ones and strip it right down and measure every single component to find a reason, but the odds of someone handing over a car thats working perfectly to be pulled apart is pretty slim.

And realistically you would need to do a few before you started drawing conclusions.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So I just need to drive lots of them and become an expert lol. .

Its only when you have two side by side you notice it really as although 175bhp or 182bhp sounds a big difference, its actually feck all in terms of how they feel to drive if you drive one after the other.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If you're serious Chip i'd let you have a go as the ITB build is going to be pulled down and the crank/rods sent for full dynamic balancing. It deffo won't be something I want to do just yet though as I plan to just enjoy it next year. Telling the missus i want to spend another £3k on "That s**tty car" is an area I may not go into negociations with her on until the new year (2015)

I have my old B/E here and sat on the floor now though which you can have providing I get it back

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As I said mate, yours is no use, it would need to be a car that is currently standard and making numbers well over the odds, and would need a couple of them to contrast and compare.

Sadly with no budget, its unlikely to happen as I cant see many people saying "my engine is awesome and working great, i will take it out and put it to one side ready to be pulled apart with some others" :(

Shame though cause it would be really interesting to know.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't mind having a go with a RS2 inlet on mine.

I've got the Piper cams with headwork and 182 manifold. It makes 184bhp and 173lbft on the RS Tuning rollers.

I think with the RS2 and 50mm extensions I could make some more power and extend the torque curve a bit.

But its a big risk when I know I could just go for ITBs and make the numbers.

I've overlayed our graphs, although yours holds on for a bit longer.

graph.jpg

ph2 clio sport 172
Just an update, after looking at various graphs especially Ph1Toms ^iv decided on just getting matched inlets with my current mods and spending rest on suspension refresh and is now booked in at RS Tuning for Tuesday 17th so will post graph once I get it back. Still tempted by RS2 maybe later down line and at least will have a graph can overlay to compare differences. If I had choice again would have been much happier going for RS2 and leaving car standard as the results people are getting on this look really well.

Thanks for people's input and advice on RS2 and links people provided.