ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS2'd

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
DSC03565.jpg

;)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
What does everyone argue about J?

Usually one of two things:

1) RS2 is not worth while for the gains.

2) Throttle body's are much better than RS2 because of XYZ.

Usually being argued either by those who have driven neither a RS2'ed car or a throttle bodied car, or one and not the other.

Dull TBH, horses for courses at the end if the day.

It's a lovely looking bit of kit but a few people have found they don't even flow well enough for cams to be used.. this triggered alarm bells with me so I spent my money on Jenveys instead :D

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
It's a lovely looking bit of kit but a few people have found they don't even flow well enough for cams to be used.. this triggered alarm bells with me so I spent my money on Jenveys instead :D

Why's that then Phil?

Ermm I dunno? I didn't design them

Lad on here had RS2 then fitted cams and found he couldn't get any power out of them and the mappers said the RS2 was too restrictive.
He took the RS2 off and put standard inlets back on and got more power

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ermm I dunno? I didn't design them

Lad on here had RS2 then fitted cams and found he couldn't get any power out of them and the mappers said the RS2 was too restrictive.
He took the RS2 off and put standard inlets back on and got more power

offft!

Hrmm I don't mean to **** them off or start an argument. I honestly had the money saved up for an RS2 but then I saw a thread with a lad who had catcams and had an RS2 fitted and ended up with less power

He suspected they couldn't flow air quick enough for the cams or something so sold the RS2 - thats why I ended up going the second hand Jenvey/Omex route instead

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Hrmm I don't mean to **** them off or start an argument. I honestly had the money saved up for an RS2 but then I saw a thread with a lad who had catcams and had an RS2 fitted and ended up with less power

He suspected they couldn't flow air quick enough for the cams or something so sold the RS2 - thats why I ended up going the second hand Jenvey/Omex route instead

Your almost on the correct track, Testing showed the cams gave extra peak (once calibrated "mapped") but lost mid-range torque as can be seen in the graphs below -

SCAN0010.jpg

Standard cams provide less peak horse power than after market camshafts but provides a good solid torque curve as can be seen in the graphs below

SCAN0007.jpg

scott.jpg

As it has been raised countless times, there are alot of happy customers with the product and there are also those who didn't get the results they hoped for, the product design has not changed but the cars that come in for the kit vary massively in power out-put from standard, if you bring a car in with a 165bhp you can't expect to produce the same peak power as car that gets dropped off with 175bhp before fitting the manifold

Well I came from a pretty much standard car to the RS2 and the difference is night and day, much better car to drive now
the power is always there meaning you don't have to drop a gear like before to overtake etc, it's a great product, people don't realise how much time money and effort has gone into producing the RS2

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Well I came from a pretty much standard car to the RS2 and the difference is night and day, much better car to drive now
the power is always there meaning you don't have to drop a gear like before to overtake etc, it's a great product, people don't realise how much time money and effort has gone into producing the RS2

+100000 and that's before it's mapped.

Your almost on the correct track, Testing showed the cams gave extra peak (once calibrated "mapped") but lost mid-range torque as can be seen in the graphs below -

Standard cams provide less peak horse power than after market camshafts but provides a good solid torque curve as can be seen in the graphs below

As it has been raised countless times, there are alot of happy customers with the product and there are also those who didn't get the results they hoped for, the product design has not changed but the cars that come in for the kit vary massively in power out-put from standard, if you bring a car in with a 165bhp you can't expect to produce the same peak power as car that gets dropped off with 175bhp before fitting the manifold

Ooof that is a nasty hole in the torque curve! :(

Yeah I understand all engines are different - it just seems like the RS2 worked a lot better on standard engines and I planned to go for cams so went for the ITB's instead :)

As I said no offense meant - I love the fact that these can be fitted without faffing about with standalone and wiring looms etc...

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
It was too restrictive?
AFAIK, initial development/design brief was just for use on a standard engine.

In simple terms, RS2 is more like fast road spec, and ITBs is like track spec.

I say this because for me, the RS2 was the best option on balance,
-I use the car everyday for work/pottering about
-I do quite a few long motorway trips
-I still have cruise control
-Nothing has been choppped or modified.

Granted, ITBs will get more power, and potentially cams/inlets will gain better peak figures, but the torque delivery of the RS2 makes it a much nicer to car drive as a daily.
... As I've said for every other thread on this subject...

Evo 5 RS

Also you do lose a bit of midrange with cams regardless, so theres no reason for people to be in shock there lol

OMG IT DOESN'T WORK PANIC

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
oh god not this again. save up do it properly get throttle bodies. the end.