ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RSTUNER understanding

Honda & VW
Right i'm on the lookout for a Ph1 172 and would like to (in time) do plenty to it. I've decided in my head what i want to do exterior wise but i keep hearing/reading about the RSTuner.

Could somebody kindly explain what would be involved (cost wise) once purchasing the kit? who sets them up etc?

i have searched but couldn't find what i wanted.

R26
Im also interested in a RS Tuner for my 182CUP, but have no idea how/what to do after i buy it, i have a laptop which i know is a requirement, do you have to pay extra for the 'file' you load into your car? cheers :)

172 Cup/Corsa 20XE
Same here!

Got some big plans, and keep reading about these RSTuners and how they offer gains from a remap.

What risks is there with using these?

fiesta 1.25
Plug laptop in to rs tuner
Plug rs tuner into car
Click Read ECU
Click Read cal
Save rst and cal files from fastchip site
Click Write ECU and locate the rst file
Click Write cal and locate the cal file
Unplug and start up the car

I will have one for sale in the next few weeks

Bus w**ker
Could somebody kindly explain what would be involved (cost wise) once purchasing the kit? who sets them up etc?
Well to buy new costs about £160, for the basic kit, depending on the conversion rate at the time of purchase plus P&P. Second hand they go for about £85 delivered on average plus another £40 for the unlock key. Or some people will update the map on your car for you from £80-£135, this includes the cost of the unlock key, depending on where you are and who you go to.

Once purchased there's no additional costs as the maps, including updates, are free from fastchip.nl, unless you opt for a custom map...but I'm not sure if Henk does them any more or the cost if he does.

You set them up yourself using a laptop and the instructions ChrisPearson has posted, although you need to make sure you get the right .rst and .cal files for your ECU.

Risks, worst case you could f**k up your ECU and have to get it repaired or buy a new one. But I can't say I've read of anyone doing this and if you follow the instructions in the manual I doubt you'll have any problems, but it is your responsibility if you f**k anything up.

Gains, doubt you'll see big bhp increases if any TBH. But you should find the power delivery is better, especially mid-range, and if you go with the Group N .rst you'll increase the rev limit to 7,800rpm once up to temp; oh and a smoother idle than standard.

It's a good bit of kit for the money and recommended highly by nearly everyone that's used it.

Sy :)

Inferno Clio Cup 182
Risks, worst case you could f**k up your ECU and have to get it repaired or buy a new one. But I can't say I've read of anyone doing this and if you follow the instructions in the manual I doubt you'll have any problems, but it is your responsibility if you f**k anything up.

We had one lunch its ECU. The silly bugger didn't read the instructions first.

He managed to erase the bootloader, so the poor system didn't know what it was or why all these things wanted to talk to it.

I have recently purchased the "premium" which will do stand-alone data reads. There's another fellow down here who will rave until he's blue in the face - he's managed to eek about another 15hp out of a 172 with fairly simple mods and a wideband O2 sensor.

Bus w**ker
How did he manage that? Did another re-flash of with the .rst sort it out or was it new ECU time?

I'd be interested in what these mods are that the guys done to get an extra 15hp and even more interested to know what the true hp increase, or decrease, is lol.