ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ's back in a French car!

53 Clio's & counting
Well in a slight turn-around, the VR6 has been swapped for this beasty!

I will miss the Golf, and it is a shame I didn't finish it, but I do prefere how French cars drive, plus this has a much better specification, so the deal was done (Straight swap) (On a plus side, the swap was with a mate, so he is finishing the Golf off so il still get to have some fun with it)

Although not the best looking car in the world, as most of you know it is a Peugeot 306 GTi-6 underneath (Bar with a 5 speed box) so it is good fun to drive, and im sure it has thicker anti roll bars than the 306 too.

So, spec is:

'51' reg Xsara VTS
2.0 16v, somewhere around 170ish bhp
72,000 miles
K&N induction kit
Weld in roll cage
Corbeau Bucket seats
Harnesses
Coilovers
Polycarb side windows with slider

A few pictures:

2012-03-17141833.gif

2012-03-17141930.gif

2012-03-17141939.gif

2012-03-17141949.gif

2012-03-17142022.gif

2012-03-17142027.gif

2012-03-17142037.gif

2012-03-17142224.gif

2012-03-17143045.gif

2012-03-17142232.gif

2012-03-17142300.gif

2012-03-17143201.gif

2012-03-17143406.gif

2012-03-17142101.gif

I got a set of braided lones to fit too which was a bonus.

The K&N is a proper kit, with the proper bracket to hold it where it is, but i'm sure being there wouldn't be too good in wet weather (Ie any puddles, and a mate of mine with the same kit siezed his GTI-6 by hitting a small flood) so I may move it.

It has the stanard exhaust and cat still on, and it is getting on it's last legs, so will be looking to get something to replace it with - unsure on what.

It is handy it has an oil temperature gauge, a new steering wheel is needed though.

So, it's a pretty tidy car, it has a few scratches, the headlights needs de-yellowing, few other odds and sods but nothing major.

So, list of bits to do so far:

Fit braided lines
Tidy up all the wiring
It has a knock over bumps from the n/s/f, but the coilovers are brand new on, so im thinking they might not have been fitted quite right
There is tape around the polycarbs as they were not sealed right, so need to pop them out and seal them
Need to paint the rollcage (It is home made and to a good standard, but is not painted)
Tidy the interior
Possibly spray the wheels
Get the ride height sorted (it's waaaaay to high at the moment)

Im undecided what to do colour wise, Im not liking the silver so I may look at another colour, and im not sure what colour the cage should go either - any ideas guys?

Once I have set the ride height, I'l see if the wheel colour grows on me - maybe a red cage to match might make it look better, Im not sure, as I dont like how far in the arches the wheels are, so I may invest in some slighly wider wheels and tyres, so colour combo may change, but of course i'm open to any suggestions!

Also iv not got underneath properly so im unsure of the make of coilovers - I tihnk they are cheap ones, but will do the job for now.

Opinions on the Ugly bus are welcome :)

BMW F21 125d
Nice. Mate of mine had one years ago and it was pretty quick with an interior. Stripped out it should be a good track weapon.

Awesome! My induction kit is in a similar place on my '6 - it's horrid! Going to shift the battery to behind the passenger seat and make an induction setup in place of the battery I think.

53 Clio's & counting
Oh, ABS has been disconnect apparently, need to check if a fuse is out of if it's had more done

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Get a dash back in it (just the carcass, they way fcuk all and look so muc neater) respray the inside all in silver, paint the wheels black, lower it a bit, bobs your monkhouse, see you at combe in may.

x

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You coming for a passenger ride sweetie?

FLOL! Not a chance, not as long as there's a hole in my ass.

Nothing against you mate, but i'm a terrible passenger. Unless i'm driving, I won't be in a car! (The exception is sam, who I do track days with)

53 Clio's & counting

Nothing against you mate, but i'm a terrible passenger. Unless i'm driving, I won't be in a car! (The exception is sam, who I do track days with)

:(

EDIT: To be fair im just the same mate, I have been in too many car accidents as a passener, so Im a terrible passenger too, though my mates doing the drifting display again (Team Church) and he says Im going out with him - god help me!

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Just get an Aqua Sheild bonnet for K&N Russ.

Living on the crest of a seized engine for the win!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
:(

EDIT: To be fair im just the same mate, I have been in too many car accidents as a passener, so Im a terrible passenger too, though my mates doing the drifting display again (Team Church) and he says Im going out with him - god help me!

I honestly think i'd have a heart attack if I passenger'd in a drift car. I don't envy you one bit! lol.

182cup & 172 racecar

Is that why you were screaming next to me at Silverstone then.;)

Lol at the cage with all the welded bends.:eek:

Turbos.
Nice shed there, underrated cars. Never get why people go that mental stripping cars though. For a sake of a few KGs, i'd rather not make it look like that terrible.

53 Clio's & counting
I honestly think i'd have a heart attack if I passenger'd in a drift car. I don't envy you one bit! lol.

Nice shed there, underrated cars. Never get why people go that mental stripping cars though. For a sake of a few KGs, i'd rather not make it look like that terrible.

True, though if everyone was the same it would be a very boring world :)

Il be getting it weighed to see if the weight loss was worth it lol, though obviously I didn't strip it

53 Clio's & counting
Just ordered a cheap OBD reader off Ebay - engine light has popped on, so will see what that is, doesn't drive any different so im guessing a lambda probe or something similar

53 Clio's & counting
It looks ok from the back and ugly from the front, but as a cheap fun car it ticks all the right boxes and that will do me for now ;)

Need to get a few track days done (got 2 next month) so will have some fun with it while tidying it up a bit, then if i get bored il get something else :)

53 Clio's & counting
That went aaaages ago mate, at the time I couldn't move the cage to my other car as it was welded in, and I didn't have any space to re-shell it.

Ironically, I now have a lock up so i could have done it now, but such is the way!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome back to the French-side... although I was looking forward to seeing the Golf in action. I give it 9 weeks before you get rid... ;) Joking aside, enjoy it for what it is and I'm sure I'll see you both at Combe soon!

53 Clio's & counting
lol cheers mate, you're still welcome for that passenger ride ;)

Well I got a few more bits done today - More sound proofing is off, new door lock is in, and Iv ordered more roll cage tube to finish the cage off - doubt it will be done by Combe mind.

On a side note, anyone know what make my coilovers are? Im guessing they are cheapy ones, but there are no markings on them showing a make, bar these stickers:

2012-03-24113045.gif

2012-03-24113106.gif

2012-03-17142300.gif

2012-03-24113255.gif

53 Clio's & counting
Hows it feel going from a VR6 to a 4 pot?

it doesn't help that this lump is gutless at low revs even for a 4pot, so feels super slow until about 5k, then it takes off like a scalded cat until the limiter calls play at circa 7500.

Id say oncw going there isnt anything in it, but the VR was so torquy (sp) that it would have been half way up the road before the Xsara comes on cam lol.

Though it does mean you have to keep the Xsara on the ball, which is good fun :)

53 Clio's & counting
Well had a few hours spare this afternoon, so sorted my dodgy drivers door lock, and made a pikeysport interior pull lol.

Also routed the drivers harness so it bolts on the rear belt bolts, rather than the dodgy way it was before.

Got fed up of the wiring to the rear lights being all the way across the back of the car, so took my time with the electrical tape and wrapped all the loose wiring up, and finished by cable tieing it along the back and out of the way

Pikeysport interior pull

2012-03-25165821.jpg

Tidy(er) wiring

2012-03-25165832.jpg

2012-03-25165837.gif