ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sander Polishers....

Clive the Clio no. 2
Im looking at purchasing a silverline as im a noob to polishing,

i was just wondering can i just use a normal sander and put polisher heads on them?

Are they the same thing?

If thats the case then i can convert my old sander into a polisher.

Chocolate Bar™
generally a sander has the wrong speed setting/gearing and isnt ideal. you can get a silverline cheap as chips, but you would ideally need to buy some scrap panels to practice on before moving onto your own car.

Punto/Clio GTT
has your sander got adjustable speed on it? if not, i wouldnt bother, you can pick up decent mops on ebay/machinemart/screwfix for £30-£35

And what would be a decent make of polisher that you could get from the likes of machine mart etc ?

Punto/Clio GTT
tbh mate just go for the cheapest one with the most accessories. all the cheapest mops are all the same pretty much. they all do the job. just make sure they have variable speed controller. some of them have the big backing pad on, so you will either need to cut that down (2 minute job) or buy a smaller backing pad.

then i use 2 pads myself, both meguires, 1 hard for cutting compound and a soft pad for polishing

Clive the Clio no. 2
Dont suppose you can find a me a cheaper one than 40 quid!?

Im only planning on using it to remove swirl marks.

Punto/Clio GTT
cant atm as im about to go back to work, will have a look later though

pretty sure mine was £35 from machinemart but i got the tax back as i went through my old work

Silverlines blue and orange are both in that price range. Try KingdomTools. Obviously you need to add the price of pads and backing plates to your 30-40 quid.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I have a silverline ordered and got myself Farecla pads for it, 1 compound and 2 polishing ones.

I'd be a bit cautious attempting to polish my car with the rotary for the first time so I'll do a few practice runs on my old spoiler maybe :)

Shed.
internet myth i hear, about rotarys being dangerous. only thing is, you really need to let the machine do the work, the G220 virtually stops spinning if you apply pressure on it. But im VERY tempted to get the silverline as im not a fan of the G220 when it comes to rds and deeper swirls.

That one i linked to has soft start and decent variable speeds.

I will also be switching my pads to sonus SFX ones, as my megs ones are falling apart and splitting at the seams, and one one the velcro has ripped off. And switching my polish to the Menz range.

Shed.
I use my girlfriend's ford KA as a testmobile, so ill be attempting a burn through in her car instead of mine to see how easy it is.

Mito Sportiva 135
Ha I am sure she will be pleased with you if you do that...

"what's that smell honey?"
"oh nothing, just your car burning love" ;)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
what exactly do you need besides one of these polishers to remove swirl marks in paintwork then?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
yeh but lookiing around there is loads of diff pads and loads of diff polishers. i dont know where to start!?