ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sanding to bare metal

Ph1
I bought a alloy bonnet and its in a different colour to my car so will need sanding down to bare metal.

Anyone got any advice on stripping the paint back and sanding etc ?

Cheers :)

Monaco Blue Mk2
Yeah won't need sanding to metal at all. You'd be fine keying up the current finish and spraying on that. Could prime it if you really want.

Punto/Clio GTT
if the finish is very very good and there is no damage/stone chips etc (unlikely) then just give it a grey scotchbrite, basecoat n laquer.

if its a not very good finish, ide wet flat the whole of the bonnet with P800/P1000 or P1200 until its totally dull and scotchbrite the inside.

if its got stonechips, depending on how many ide probably prep it with P240/P320, n primer anywhere i broke through the laquer.

but as said above, more than likely just need a nice wetflat all over, scotchbrite the inside and paint straight over it