ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SAT NAV - WHICH IS BEST?!

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
Ive got a Clio Dynamique and the solar/heat reflective tint that renault fit I know causes probs wiv sum SAT NAVs....when last I used my friends it got all confused and cudnt figure out its own position.

So can ayone recommend one they have used in a car wiv the same solar/heat reflective tint that renault put on the car?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Pretty sure it's the old ones that have the problems, any newish ones i've used have all been fine.

106 GTi
As said by others, anything pretty recent with newer chipsets will work through the front screen.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
garmins are always my choice, if you can afford one, good deals on a nuvi 200 just now, the tom tom one is similar, in just about every way but i prefere the OS on the garmins.

personally i have a garmin 610t, with traffic updates, its good, the only problems i have is that they have done load of road alterations a the one time and the maps are slighly off because of this (the scottish councils are pretty much going to put a mini round about on every junction at this rate) but tom tom is they same unless you subscribe a large amount for map share, but unless you do like 30-40 k a year its probs not worth it.
also the traffic update in mine are free for life, throught he FM reciever, unlike most as a subscription is needed and/or a gprs account on the mobile. i know my dads tt, needs to be connected to the internet through my dads blue tooth to pick up traffic.

Ultra Red Clio 197
Garmin are the best! though a guy in halfords told me that TomTom bought them out.. dont know if thats true...

Ive been looking at the Garmin 660-FM, though I keep finding something else to spend my money on so havent got around to getting it yet! My dad and step dad have the garmin 360 which is a great piece of kit!

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
tom tom havent bought them over as such just they have bought navteq or some thing, who do all the mapping so basiclaly the only diference in future tts and garmins will be the operating system as they will be using the same maps.

one hint set you sat nav to truck or bus, not car, in the vehicle settings, or they can take you down some well dodgy roads, especially if you have a lowered car or nice alloys, been down the farm roads a few time in mine, but my dads tt does the same unless oyu make your vehicle bigger.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
excellent stuff guys....much appreciate the help.
glad to kno its only the older sat navs that have a prob.
Me thinks ims gna look at TT one XL and the Garmins.

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
I have the Garmin Nuvi 300, i first bought it a year ago...It was excellent for months untill new roads and dual carriage ways have been built down here...The map updates on the Garmin web site make no difference at all. And if you dont want to be taking down one way streets the wrong way and roads which are actually private drive ways id highly recomend not to go for ANY Garmin device.
But i do recomend the Tom Tom One 3rd edition for HALF the price (only £125!) of the Garmin Nuvi 300 (£210 i paid a year ago). It wont get you lost! New updates always availible, if a road isnt shown on the map you can put it in your self, speed cameras, hazards, everything! TomTom seem to be making excellent Sat Navs these days, have tried many sorts and this is the one im happy with for the price!

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
tom tom havent bought them over as such just they have bought navteq or some thing, who do all the mapping so basiclaly the only diference in future tts and garmins will be the operating system as they will be using the same maps.

one hint set you sat nav to truck or bus, not car, in the vehicle settings, or they can take you down some well dodgy roads, especially if you have a lowered car or nice alloys, been down the farm roads a few time in mine, but my dads tt does the same unless oyu make your vehicle bigger.

Really? Thats exaclty what my old Garmin did, took me down farm lanes and private drive ways! So setting it to BUS stops that does it?

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
I have a 720 too.

Its good but boy does it give some flase positives, reads a 30mph road on the A14 at some points!

Picking up my Turini's left me 13 mins away from desired destination even though I used postcode lol

Renault 5 GT Turbo
I have a TomTom One, With the europe map.

Does what it says on the tin, gets me where i want to go.

With any Satnav system you have to keep your whits about you.. ie: not drive up dead end roads, or on a country lane when a dual carriage way is right next to it (happened to us in germany)

1998 BMW e46 323i
I bought the tom tom one europe in the summer (they're only £149 ish now), used it all over italy, switzerland, france and spain. It's an incredibly intuitive, compact and well priced kit.

Not saying it's the best out there, but we didn't even take a map with us! And I use it for work, it's idiot proof.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.

Really? Thats exaclty what my old Garmin did, took me down farm lanes and private drive ways! So setting it to BUS stops that does it?

i frequent a sat nav forum every so often apprenly its been an issue for years, its due yo how they classify the roads, and the matsh the unit uses, most if them go fo the speed so the farm roads are actually 60mph rods so the unt will try to link up as many fast roads as possible, even if it would be impossible to drive down half of them at 60 unless you want to dislodge a lung. but yeah generally setting it to a larger vehicls such as a bus or lorry stops that, as it rules out roads under a certain witch or classification. it is not just garmin who are affected its tom toms too, but its more down to people blindly following them, just set it to avoid u-turns and if you done like the look of a road, dont go down it, let it re route you. like wheni was going to inverness the motor way was chocka due to road works, i got off as soon as i could and let my sat nav re route, me it tried to route me back onto the motor way, but i saw the signs for the motor way posting pointing the same way,so i just kept heading parallel to the motor way and it eventually routed me infront of the traffic. you just need to remember these are navigation aids not definite follow or die instructions.

but he nuvi is better than the one IMO, but to each their own, you tend to find quite strong brand loyaly when it comes to sat navs for some reason, a bit like mobiles. i'm garmin and sony ericsson and nothing else in my mind is better, other than another garmin or sony ericsson, but tom tom users are the same,tom tom or nothing. when in actual fact they are both very good at what they do and very very similar in just about every respect.

A newly fixed 172
I have the Snooper Strabo unit, with Camera detector. Works a treat and get's me where i want to go everytime. Also came with Free camera Database downloads for life. Which is nice..