ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scorpion or Magnex

thinkin of buying a full cat back system for my clio, which is better??? power gains and noises?? how are they different?

Magnex and Scorpion are two of the finest exhausts on the market, so whichever you choose it shouldnt disappoint. Scorpion will be louder if its a full catback. Its got that rally-style low grumble like the K-Tec, but slightly quieter than that. Magnex has a smoother sound, still sporty but will not burble/pop and only gets loud under full throttle (Scorpion is loudest on the over-run).

I know this cos I have a Scorpion cat-back and one of my mates has a Magnex!

Power gains will be minimal from either system, as mat rightly points out, so I would choose what you like the tailpipe designs and sound of.

Oh yeah, another thing maybe worth considering is, some people have had fitment problems with Scorpions on their valvers, and had hassle from the backbox rubbing/knocking against suspension components or something. I dont remember the specifics but a search of the e, p & m section of the forum should supply the details. I personally had no problems with the fit of my Scorpion, it was perfect, but mines the new shape Clio.

ive have owned both so its easier for me to comment. i had a scorpion (full system from the manifold back) on an XR3i Mk4. The noise it gave was lovely and crisp.. cant describe it really, not to loud but just right!

when i bought my valver it came with a magnex cat back system. The quality appears just as good as the scorpion if not better IMHO however it sounds no where near as nice as my scorpion did. Doesnt really sound much louder then over standard if you ask me, tho evidently there as a subtle humm as you drive through the rev range. i feel the magnex is a replacement for more mature drivers..

Put it this way.. get the scorpion, if you dont like it ill swap it for my magnex...................................... hows that?

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

From what I have seen the oval part of the back box fits horizontally for Magnex back boxes and vertically (reducing ground clearance and aesthetically less pleasing) on the scorpion.

Quote: Originally posted by Matty on 29 April 2003

From what I have seen the oval part of the back box fits horizontally for Magnex back boxes and vertically (reducing ground clearance and aesthetically less pleasing) on the scorpion.
Yep it does fit almost vertically as I have one. Its a very quiet exhaust with the original middle silencer. Does have a very slight burble on idle

cheers for that lads, think ill go for the magnex, its slightly cheaper. I do want a nice sound but i dont want it to overpowering like a 1.3 sr nova!!!! found a full cat back system magnex for £221 from http://www.hyperformancedirect.co.ukwww.hyperformancedirect.co.uk does that sound any good? best price ive found!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Cant complain with my Scorpion; nice fit, tight sound, little Scorpion logo on top of the tail pipe, must be quality. ;)

I have a full magnex now and i do like it, get some nice pops and bangs from that a lovely burrble from it. But i used to have a ful scorpion on my uno turbo the quality was equall on both, but i think the scorpion sounded ten times better, it just used to purrrr really nicely

TT 225

I had a scorpion full system on my Williams - and have gone through 2 back boxes because the baffles went. sh*te IMO. Magnex are good, and am currently running a Mongoose system. Its loud, pops and gives a deep roar. Very nice :D

Oh im not the only one then kelly?? I too am about to change my back box on my scorpion exhaust as the baffles went in mine too, this will be my third........... i had to change the back box on my corsa also due to baffles coming loose........ twice

In my opinion scorpion does sound nice,...........quite throaty but not over powering.........................BUT in my experience this sound lasts about 3 months before it turns to a rattly horrid noise......... steer clear of scorpion!! Oh also dont fit too nicely either my centre section hung down too low and also back baffle sits the wrong way round so that you have a huge lump hanging out of the back end...........like a stainless steel heameroid!!

Chuckie

centre section of my mongoose has gone....getting an OMP race system simply because supersprint dont produce the 68mm race system anymore.

But their rd systems are damn good (supersprint) MILED better than anything on the UK market.

At my local Powerflow dealer theres been a huge outcry cos people have discovered theyre not real s/s! Theres been about a dozen people I know whove had to take them back due to rusting within the first 3-6 months and they apparently stick to magnets!! Don;t know if its just been a dodgy batch of exhaust bits from Powerflow, but I know theyve gone from trying to talk everyone into taking one to no longer recommending them and suggesting other brands they stock.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Scorpion come with lifetime gaurentee though. Mine fits fine but does hang a little low in centre section which isnt the Xorsts fault jus Renos hangers IMO.

Doesnt stick out at the end as much as the Magnex boxes i have seen & with new hangers from Rally Design it is very sturdy with no rattles. Howd u know when the baffles have gone anyway? Thanx, Mikey.

you here a nasty tinny rattling to start with on acceleration, mine is now so bad even at idle or just blipping the throttle the nasty rattle happens........... also if you take the back box off and bang it on the floor you can here the baffle moving inside the box...

Chuckie

Willy2

i have a magnex quiet and effective, dont go to powerflow unless you want serious rally sound, Supersprint would be ideal, but costly, you should get and nice quiet sound and top performance, my mate swears by them!