ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Screen scratches

was cleaning my dads and my own car yesterday (an 04 reg and an 05 reg) and noticed both had scratches on their screens like the scratches you get on your paintwork, not overly deep and not noticeable if your outside looking in the window but highly visible if your inside the car looking out the window even though the scratches are 99% probably on the outside of the glass, you cant feel them by running your finger along them, and they werent cracks, scrapes or broken bits. my 2 front door windows on the Clio are also like this.

the more I think about it I remember my 206 (02 plate) and quite a few cars I've worked on at work having scratchy windscreens, BUT my old 1997 spec Astra had a spot on perfect unscratched screen by comparison to most of the cars I refer to.

Hence I was wondering, do car manufacturers use worse quality glass nowadays than they did back then, or is it something to do with having to use thinner glass from a safety point of view if you crash and go into/through the screen or if you run someone over and they are thrown off your screen, or is there another reason for it?

to prove my point further, I could go down a scrappy and check the screens on every car down there, and 99% would be spot on scratch free despite them being ancient bangers whilst all these newish cars have screens that are scratched to f**k.

They are probably caused by squirrels tbh (i'm not joking either) we have a few in your garden & they slide down the from the roof of the car, b*stards !

nah I doubt its squirrels, after all the screens on my last 2 cars have been scratched as has my dads and about 30 citroens I've worked on recently at work.

whereas my old 1997 spec Vauxhall astra had a scratch free screen despite being nearly 10years old and being parked in the same place as my other 2 cars I've owned and my dads car so if it were squirrels the astra wouldve had a scratched screen too.