ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Secret Button

Clio Williams2

was speaking to a 16v owner today and he asked if I knew what the button is on the end of the wiper paddle, I told him I didnt have one, got back in my car and realised I did have the button, has 2 arrows on it.

Is it a stereo control? (I dont have the standard stereo or 1 which uses the stearing contraols) or maybe some sort of nitro style speedup button which I just need to fix to give my car a 70% boost in power???:devilish:

If it was on the wiper arm, the chances are that its been replaced at some time, and the owner used one from a renault 19 16v.

The button alters the display on the dash board for temp/averagempg/odometer.

I think :confused:

Bumder With A Buffer

If the renault 19 16v could display average mpg surely the clio 16v could as well then????

Clio Williams2

Hmm, there is the stick on its own for the stereo, unless they ran out of space for buttons. Its a bit of a coincidence that the only other clio Ive seen has this button if its from a 19. Nothing in the Haynes manual and I dont have the owners handbook.

Isnt the volume control on the stumpy stick with the other volume controls?

temp/averagempg/odometer would be nice.:D

in mine, i have one, but its for the trip computer. so i dont suppose you have the option for one when you got the car did you??

Clio Williams2

Erm, didnt have any options as I bought the car from 8 yrs old. I have an analogue trip computer on ma speedo so doubt its that. Im dyin to play with it tommorow now.

clio 20v

its to disarm the factory immobiliser if ur fob stops workin u use it too input a code that u shud hav got with the car

it jus happens reno had a perfectly good stalk with a button on the end from a 19 with trip comp so they used that

sorry it doesnt activate secret machine guns or ewt lol

adi

clio 20v

oh you mean that button that one does the secret rocket launchers behind the front grill

handy for getting vw passat drivers out of the way on the motorway hehe

adi

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

We have that button in out RT and I never knew why...

So I asked and apparently its for the trip computer, which we aint got!

silver valver/hybrid

its definately for overiding the immobiliser, ive answered this question myself twice already! its in the owners maual.

Bumder With A Buffer

If the ren19 16v had one to change the trip computer etc, then couldnt the clio valver?? there basically the same???

silver valver/hybrid

havent got the book to hand but i remember it saying something like you have a card that comes with the car brand new with a four digit code, and you press the button on the stalk same number of times as first number of code then depress accellerator, then press button same as second number and so forth. this temporarily overides the immobiliser in a case of the key fob dying. something like that anyway, if i can find the manual i might even scan it and put it up.

Not a Clio

were these options? my handbook talks about the immobilisor and this button but i dont have the button and i have an aftermarket immobilisor, the key under the glove box is for the alarm, ive heard people say that was for the immobiliser but obviously not on mine

clio 20v

think the factory immobilisers were only fitted to the later cars, late M reg an N reg valvers should have an immobiliser an the button on the stalk

adi

its for the trip computer........to cycle thro all the options on the digital display.

shows mpg, miles to next fillup, outside temp, average speed and something else i think.

the non trips dont have the button at end of the stalk. and dont have digital display, just a needle fuel guage.

Ray

Whats the button for on the boot? The square one in the middle? And how the hell do you get stuff out of the car easily without dragging it through the front doors?

The button on the boot activates the button on the end of the wiper paddle, if you press the wiper paddle button six times whilst waggling the gear stick clockwise, it opens the boot.

I only found this out by accident, its not in the handbook

Sh*t ill have to try that, my shopping from last week is starting to smell. Anyone seen the button on the driver side of the car just posterior to the rear window on a Williams? Its says unleaded only if you unscrew it. What the hell is that for, and why wont my car start?

Clio Williams2

I think on a williams that is actually the metal recycling bay, you can deposit both magnetic and non magnetic cans in there but no lead, the next time you get a replacement part from renault the scrap metal value will be deducted from the part cost.

I have looked up the Williams secret hints and tips page and this says that you have to indicate left then right, then hazards then turn heater blower to full and back down to 0, then you should be able to start the car (ensure you are in the passenger seat for the entire process). They mention a speed up which involves leaning as far forward you can and wrapping your forarm over the steering wheel and gripping at the 10 to position, you have to work out the rest for yourself though as they say it is top secret.

Hope this helps, cheers for the manual post, might have a play.

Had to buy a second hand wiper switch the other day, and it had the "secret button" on it.

So I looked in the workshop manual, and its for headlight washers.

Quote: Originally posted by Clio16vBlack on 18 July 2003

were these options? my handbook talks about the immobilisor and this button but i dont have the button and i have an aftermarket immobilisor, the key under the glove box is for the alarm, ive heard people say that was for the immobiliser but obviously not on mine
I always thought the key under the glove box was to turn off the fuel pump or something to immobilise the car!!

The alarm key is next to the windscreen washer bottle under your bonnet!!

Or am i completely mad!!

This is confusing! I dont have the stalk button but i do have the key in the glove compartment but not the button next to the washer bottle. The car has an aftermarket immobiliser as well. It also has an alarm but i dont know if this is aftermarket?! I also have no books with the car!