ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sell private or trade in

Burgandy 174 sport t

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Sell privately or youll just lose even more money to the dealer. Try selling it as it is just now and if it doesnt go sell me the wheels and springs mega mega mega cheap!!!

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 15 February 2004

i havent even considered Trade in. usually they just take the piss big time!
Just been offered £10k for mine trade in. That sounds pretty good to me for an 03 172 with 15500 on the clock.

people always over value there car, then get insulted by what they are offered... ( except lee!?!)

Remember that they have to take your car in at TRADE value, usually re MOT it, Recondition it, service it, then put it on the forecourt for a price that they will be beaten down on. oh and try and make a few quid after they have payed the VAT on the profit....

I usually find people always think our cars are overpriced ( they arent...) and were offering very little for theres... usually included a story about how such and such up the road offered them twice that, when thats true you have to explain that trade value is trade value... to offer more there has to be alot of over allowance on the price of the car your buying.

If you sell privately leave it how it is, if you trade put it standard.

selling privately is a waste of time, costs money in adverts and nine times out of ten you get dreamers or timewasters phoning you up asking crap about the stereo or directions to where you live, then they either dont turn up or just turn up cos they wanna drive it.

if you do get someone interested then they start, hagling offering silly money, thinking your desperate for a sale. face it no one expects to pay what your asking and hagling has become compulsary!!!!

dont bother just take the book trade in price save yourself a lot of time n effort.

Id say strip it back to normal and sell the bits on.

Sell it to a dealer and there less problem but less money for you.

However selling it yourself has more problems.

Depend if you want the hasle and problems just for the sake of some extra cash.

Depends.

If someone offers you a good trade in price, then trade it.. but if its significantly less than what you think you could get/want for it.. then spend a bit of time selling privatly.

At least with trade in, its all done.. no messing about.. take car in, drive other out.. with private, you could have no car for a bit (if you sell before..) or two cars after you get your new one.

Willy2

Quote: Originally posted by malcup on 15 February 2004

selling privately is a waste of time, costs money in adverts and nine times out of ten you get dreamers or timewasters phoning you up asking crap about the stereo or directions to where you live, then they either dont turn up or just turn up cos they wanna drive it.

if you do get someone interested then they start, hagling offering silly money, thinking your desperate for a sale. face it no one expects to pay what your asking and hagling has become compulsary!!!!

dont bother just take the book trade in price save yourself a lot of time n effort.
very true:D

i sell cars for a living. trade in values vary from garage to garage, ppl think that a ford dealer will gover more for a ford etc etc. its not the case.

dealers will over allow on your car by taking profit out of the new 1 your looking at to show that they are giving you more. but not knowcking anything off the car or do a bit of both if you get me??

youll cut out the middle man and get more for your car selling private but it depends if you can be bothered with all the hassel of selling it.

if your happy with your price to change to your new 1 then just part ex it.

Mondeo STTDCI

I think definitively - advertise private until your pissed off then part ex.

Simply becos you are almost certain to recieve £500 MINIMUM more privately than a dealer is willing to offer you part ex. Now that is a lot of money.

I remember being offered £3000 for a Ka that I knew Ford would try to sell for £5995 and probably take £4500 on. I sold it for £3300 private after a long and horrible wait of 3-4 weeks.

HOWEVER, better in my pocket than theirs. Always liked cash as a bargaining point at dealers too. Think I might have to take £12k to a reno dealer in cash and show em it so I can test drive a car though.

Private selling has always worked for me. Ive always had a buyer within a week and for a fair price. Also, dont underestimate the selling potential of a simple poster in the window of your car!

My cars are always cosmetically absolutely stunning and do most of the leg-work by being mint all the time. People always spot a mint car and a number of mine have been bought by people who simply pass them every day on their way to work.

Your car needs something to stand out in an advert and in my case its always been the condition. But there are loads of other things to play on. Price is the last option. A car thats a clear 20% cheaper gets a lot of attention and you can probably sell at the asking price if the car is tidy, probably only losing a little over trying to sell it at a higher price and being haggled down.

Theres always a much bigger market for standard cars, which you can benefit from because although youll have to remove the added bits, Ill bet the car underneath has been far better cared for than most private sellers examples.

Burgandy 174 sport t

today I got offered 4800 for it against a new cup!! @ 10998 he also said "this is top book price so it might differ when I get to see it"

looked in autotrader for the same spec car etc and they all seem to be advertised at between 5500 and 6500!!

dont know what to do!!

Tell him this and if he doesnt offer you more just walk away. I know its hard when you want a car that bad but at the end of the day there will always be others!

Burgandy 174 sport t

already did this with another dealer and sure enough the next day he phoned up and offered 500 more but due stuff in the family I had forgot all about it till now I think the car is still there too

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Private or Trade in ?? Well we traded in my wifes 2000 megane and got £5k for it.. If I sold it privately we would of got abour £4.5K so trade in worked for us.

The Jinx

Iain, Ive taken the step to sell my dci privately, since the difference between trade and private value is quite significant. It isnt that much hassle selling privately.

Much of it depends on how sought after your car is, and I personally think the dci would be quite sought after since it offers better performance and mpg than many of its petrol siblings.

Autotrader costs £15 for 2weeks online or £43 for 3wks online and 2wks in the mag. I tested the water online first but have now opted to go the full monty.

You can also use Loot, and http://www.findit.co.ukwww.findit.co.uk

Dealers near me are offering piss poor trade in values at the mo, and not just for Renaults but also my g/fs 2 1/2yr old Ibiza ( £3500 and its only done 10k!)

Trouble for dealers now is that they make their money on finance mainly since new cars are so cheap, and so used cars offer little opportunity to make some cash as most buyers still go for new cars. Ever wondered why most dealerships dont tend to have used cars over 2yrs old on their forrecourts?

Burgandy 174 sport t

just back from another dealer and have been offered 5200 for it now!! sellin private I reckon I could get say another 500 so I am swithering if its worth it is worth it or not??!!!

Ive always sold privately. Look at the market and see what you think is a fair price. Put it on the autotrader website for a couple hundred quid more than you want. Then when people come and make you an offer you can knock the couple hundred off and they feel like theyve got a bargain/beaten you down. Trading it in is the lazy way of doing it and you rightly pay a financial penalty. Trading in is for grandads! ;)