ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Selling a car to be exported

2014 Clio 200t edc
Hi
If I was to sell a car to a foreign national (French) then what do i do? Obviously apart from checking it's not a scam and the money is real.
There is no information on the 'excellent' dvla website and the v5 says nothing about it apart from personal exports. I'm reading old posts on forums saying you write to the dvla (can be done online now) and they take the v5 with them to register it in heir country.
Has anyone got any experience or knowledge on this please?
Thanks

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
When I sold mine I'm pretty sure I photocopied the log book and then sent it back to dvla saying it had gone abroad.

There's a difference between exporting and selling to a private individual.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
You need to write a letter to DVLA telling them it's been sold and permanently exported. There are no forms for it, guess it's not worth their while as it's pretty rare. The new owner took the whole V5 in my case as they needed it for the import (was going to Ireland)

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
You need to write a letter to DVLA telling them it's been sold and permanently exported. There are no forms for it, guess it's not worth their while as it's pretty rare. The new owner took the whole V5 in my case as they needed it for the import (was going to Ireland)
Take a copy of the V5, take a copy of their passport Fill out the exported bit on the V5 and send it to DVLA. Very simple.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
That's if you are personally exporting the car I.e. taking it abroad with you. Selling is different, or at least that's what DVLA told me when I spoke to them. They may, of course, have been talking crap as their customer service people can be a bit variable but that's what they said.

Maybe best just to phone DVLA yourself and clarify @PP172

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
That's if you are personally exporting the car I.e. taking it abroad with you. Selling is different, or at least that's what DVLA told me when I spoke to them. They may, of course, have been talking crap as their customer service people can be a bit variable but that's what they said.

Maybe best just to phone DVLA yourself and clarify @PP172
It doesn't really matter if you're taking it abroad or selling. Obviously it will help with a cover letter explaining but if it's being exported, it's being exported.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Found the email from DVLA, it's from 2014 so maybe best to check nothing's changed, but here's what they told me:

It may be helpful if I explain that, if you are selling your vehicle to a purchaser outside the UK the following advice applies to notifying export.

You, the current registered keeper of the vehicle, shown on the registration certificate V5C, should notify disposal by writing to:

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BD

including the:

• vehicle registration number
• make/model
• date of sale
• who the vehicle is sold to

Please note we are issuing automatic acknowledgement letters to confirm that keepers are no longer responsible for the vehicle. If you do not receive the confirmation letter within 4 weeks please contact us.

The complete V5C should be handed to the new keeper who should fill in section 6 of the V5C. Both yourself as current keeper and the new keeper must sign the declaration section 8. The whole V5C should then be handed to the new keeper and this can be used to re-register the vehicle in the host country.