ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

serious debate about 1*2 suspension setup

Clio 172 2002
suspension adjustment confuses me.
previous owner runs this configuration, and he swears it's the best thing possible after many trials and errors, but i just dont get it.
It's a clio 1*2 phase 1.

Koni yellow shocks with Eibach sportline springs.

these are the spring rates for the Eibach sportline :
Front 160-239 lb/in
Rear 354-752 lb/in
Now, the shocks are 75% stiff (lets assume 100% is max stiffness) on the front and 50% on the rear.

Adjusting the koni's means you adjust the rebound factor, and Koni mentions that on the softest setting they are still slightly more firm than stock shocks.
Eibach springs are slightly more firm than OEM springs (OEM is 130 lb/in front i think from what i've read here, anyway they are softer than eibach) BUT they work well with stock shocks.

Now from what i gather, that means that for these shocks to work in synergy with the springs, I need to raise the rebound factor of the shock where the spring is stiff, and lower the rebound factor on the shock where the spring is softer, which basically means the exact opposite of what the previous owner did.

in summary, front springs are soft, rear springs are stiff, BUT he made the front shocks stiff and the rear shocks soft. I think it's wrong.
I think i need to add rebound to the rear shocks so they cope with the stiffer rear springs, and soften the front shocks so they cope with the softer front springs, but previous owner says this causes major oversteer and the rear just slides all over even when you brake hard.

who's wrong ? :)