ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shell Helix Ultra any good?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Following on from oil change thread.

Been quoted £36 for oil change with the above oil, he will even throw in a 1L as top up.

yeah, it's awesome, best oil I've used and I've owned a Williams, so have gone through a s**t load of oils in my time! pmsl

C

clio172cup20

Expensive but the best.
Not that thick tho, so you can hear the tappets. its all good tho!!!

It's expensive for what you get as it's a mineral based synthetic not a true one but it is fine for stock street cars

Cheers
Guy

Erm... we have streets, we have cars and often they are in stock form. Sounds like English to me.

We also have race tracks, and modded cars... some only used on track. So I guess there may be a small difference between the two and their requirments.

106 GTi
Sorry just made me chuckle sounding all American.

Standard road car just sounds alot more English to me.

Racin Blue 182
What's the concensus on it compared to Silkolene Pro S then?

Just thought that was the dogs b******s.....

There is no comparison.

Shell is a mineral based synthetic for road use

Silkolene is a proper manmade synthetic race oil designed for road/track

Cheers
Simon

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
oilman said:
It's expensive for what you get as it's a mineral based synthetic not a true one but it is fine for stock street cars

Cheers
Guy

What's a true one that can be bought on the high street???

R

rich[182]

Must say I'd had 3 or 4 changes using Shell Hellix Ultra on my 172 and was real happy with it, then had my 36k service at GDI and they used the Silkolene Pro S and it just made the engine feel so much smoother, quiet idle and just was the worx imho, car pulled so much smoother

Lionel Richie
i wasn't a fan of the pro s, couldn't handle the high temps we were running so we binned it and are now on 10W60

am i right in saying Mobil1 is owned by Comma?

No mobil1 is not owned by comma.

Should have gone for the Pro R 15w-50, far better for your engine than 10w-60

Cheers
Simon

Lionel Richie
we've got no complaints with the millers 10W60

I was 99% sure mobil1 was owned by Comma?? they're both esso related IIRC?

R

rich[182]

Take it that the Silkolene Pro S 5W-40 is as good as your can get / need for the road, even with a mildly tuned N/A engine ? Especially if your not tracking it

ps I've just gone past 5k miles this week, the dealer put whatever oil they use in it when I bought it 6 wks ago when it had near 4k miles (they gave it its 1st service at 11 months old but 4k miles)

I aim to replace every 6k, can I go to fully synth as above even at 6k miles ?

It is but could be considered overkill in some quarters.

Yes you can go fully synthetic now it is run in

Cheers
Simon

R

rich[182]

Oil flush recommendations ? I hear Forte is the best but would some Wynns etc from Halfords do the job ?

R

rich[182]

rich[182];2086601 said:
Oil flush recommendations ? I hear Forte is the best but would some Wynns etc from Halfords do the job ?

^ Anyone advise on oil flush, Cheers.

RenaultSport clio 18
I been using shell helix ultra since day one and regularly cahange around 5k miles mway miles mostly keeps eng sweet and rev happy.

rich[182];2087856 said:
rich[182];2086601 said:

^ Anyone advise on oil flush, Cheers.

DOnt bother with any flushes, they can do much more harm then good.

There is no substitute for using a quality oil, as long as you are using one they will do all the cleaning you need to keep the engiine tip top.

Cheers

Guy.

R

rich[182]

^ Cheers, but please explain why, I thought the flush was supposed to get rid of all the crap etc ?
Cheers

Most flushes are kerosene or paraffin mixes and can over clean the engine if you like, to the point where it can strip out deposits made by the bedding in process, plus you will never get it all out so whats left will start to work on breaking down the new oil once it goes in.

A good quality oil, especially a synthetic will have all the detergents you need to keep the engine clean.

Also you dont see many oil manufacturers selling this stuff, being the most financially selfish people in the world if these were any good the majors would have the market cornered.

Cheers

Guy.

M

Mark E-J

oilman please help whats the best oil and grade for my car not bothered on price its quality im after?

i got a 1995 n plate valver 1.8 16v (stans old car)

mods are:

cat back system with decat pipe
pannel air filter
denso iridium plugs
magnecore 8.5 leads
v power petrol always

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
we pretty much use silkoline for everything.

its standard on all our services 5w40.... works well for road and track work.

i would personally tend to go for something with slightly more viscosity for very hard track use... but thats a personal opinion.

Clio 172 mk2
I always thought Shell Helix Ultra was fully synthetic.....it's what it says on the tin anyway.

Used to use it in my WRX without any problems but with my 24k service coming up I may try Silkolene 5/40w

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Today as it was freezing i took the tomato for a drink.

After the guy at ATS realised you needed to remove alloy housing at front of engine to get to oil filter, things went fine.

Fresh oil shell helix ultra 5w/40 synthetic, (filter & washer i supplied) + a spare 1l top up.

While oil was draining they fitted my new splitter.

When it was time to pay guess the bill???

£20, merry Christmas.

Wifes cars going in next week while the goings good:D