ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shell V-Power and normal unleaded?

Leon Cupra R 225
Next time I go to the petrol garage Im thinking of sticking V-Power in instead of standard unleaded.

Should I run the tank onto the red on the normal unleaded 1st? Will it matter if there's a little bit of standard unleaded in there?

Cheers

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i used to run my 172 on Vpower all the time, but i have recently just put super unleaded in it insted and it runs better

SLK 350
Should be as empty as possible mate, but ideally you should run 2/3 tankfuls.

That said, despite me also buying super-unleaded where possible, I never experience better performance/mpg noticably over bog standard diluted supermarket fuel. For me it's purely a placebo.

SLK 350
It's better as it cleans your engine more so than 'normal' fuel, but don't be expecting your car to become quicker or more economical purely because of the extra RON.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
i run tesco 99 and if im stuck bang in normal 95, can never tell the diff or get more mpg but run super when i can as its recomended

Leon Cupra R 225
It's better as it cleans your engine more so than 'normal' fuel, but don't be expecting your car to become quicker or more economical purely because of the extra RON.

yeah what Im thinking. thing is I do use Redex petrol cleaning products probably once a month so would like to think it's running well already. :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol u wont notice a difference its not gonna be like banging a turbo or something in your car, if your running something that is burning hotter etc u may notice the difference in less det etc but its not f**king rocket fuel lol

172Petey

98ron petrol is recomended, shell Optimax used to be that but now its changedto V-power an is 99ron.

You cant get 98 any more!?

Which is best, super being 97 usually or V-power at 99?!

I no that running on too high octain can ruin an engine! Can start "pinkin" an cause excessive stress on crankshaft etc!

Saying that all I have ever run my 172 on is V-power

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Same here. The one and only time I went on track with a tankful of Tesco 99 slop, I ran out mid afternoon.

Every other time on the same track with V-power liquid lovliness, I'd still have enough left to drive home at the end of the day.

ant

yep.
I just find with v-power I dont get that "hesitation" for the first couple of minutes in the morning.

BLACK 197!!
was proven on Fifth Gear that unless you have a high performance car like an impreza sti or evo or summit like that u are jus wasting your money makes no bloody difference at all apart from costin 7p a liter more.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
was proven on Fifth Gear that unless you have a high performance car like an impreza sti or evo or summit like that u are jus wasting your money makes no bloody difference at all apart from costin 7p a liter more.

Well my Mk2 172 idles much better on V-power, and also returns higher mpg:rolleyes:

Abarth Grande Punto
i have always used tesco's super cos of the clubcard points. How does shell optimax or v power compare in cost? is it dearer than tesco?

172Petey

They are just refind in different ways and extra additiv's put in.

It says in the handbook, an on the inside of my filler cap that 98ron fuel is recomended. Thats the reason for using, not because 5th Gear say to or not.

Thing is, like I stated above, you cant get 98ron anywhere any more!

RenaultSport clio 172 cup
I just gotta say that in my (limited) experience anything travelling at 6000 RPM with a fuel with a bigger octain 'BANG' is gonna be Faster/Responsive then with a fuel with a lesser octain.

But we are talking about small magins

(Just like how good your oil is for less friction) I use to own an 'Aprilia RS 125 Racing Replica' which would reach about 100 MPH top end on good oil with a fully synthetic racing oil i would get 105 MPH.

The point is that it all makes a differance but how much!

:approve:

I just gotta say that in my (limited) experience anything travelling at 6000 RPM with a fuel with a bigger octain 'BANG' is gonna be Faster/Responsive then with a fuel with a lesser octain.

But we are talking about small magins

(Just like how good your oil is for less friction) I use to own an 'Aprilia RS 125 Racing Replica' which would reach about 100 MPH top end on good oil with a fully synthetic racing oil i would get 105 MPH.

The point is that it all makes a differance but how much!

:approve:

A higher octane as slower end gas chemical changes, so technically it would be a slower or 'smaller' burn.....its more resistent, so i guess you could say its less volatile.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
from watching tht, its obviouse surely, well for extra break and torque.

if u have a sports car v-power is best, if not it doesnt make a difference lol.

but it didnt go over if it cleans it etc. hhmmmm

M2 Competition
Ive done lots of motorway driving, and the difference in Fuel economy between standard and super is huuuuge!

Waste of money putting standard in, as it disappears so quickly.

Car seems to run best on V-power, or BP Ultimate.

I was never a lover of 99 tescos in either or my imprezas, maybe it was placebo or maybe it was me but the engine never felt 'nice' on v-power just seemed slicker, like I said probably placebo.

In the clio I have noticed the mpg on V-power to be better than 95. I tend to put v-power in all the time unless I'm really caught short.

Clio 172 mk2
I always use 97 ron fuel

Don't think it makes a great deal of difference in NA engines like the Clio

LY V6 with Recaros
I've always run mine on optimax/v-power. I did use tesco 99 a few times, but the car started to feel a bit rough. Not sure if I was imagining it or not..

The Beast MK4
I currently use Sainsburys super. However when I was running V-Power the car did idle better and warmed up quicker from a cold start. The mpg is about the same.

Rsport182Cup'd
we got British Rally Championship fuel in our tesco's - BRC 100Ron Unleaded
plastered all over pump with BRC and pics of rally cars

i use when go shopping - as said earlier high octane supermaket prices, they all come from the same refactories, and pipes in ground, just think they might be laughing at use, what happens when the bloke in the tanker puts standard in the super tank, we pay more for less - pmsl