ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shocked at the age of some of you!

my dad bought me my car, mum pays for my insurance and dad pays for servicing etc. Only thing i pay for is fuel and for tyres or anything un-necessary (sp). my parents arent rich though, just theyd rather i had a decent car rather than a shed that is going to break down every 6 weeks.

im 19............ just about survive paying for runnings costs of a 1.4 RT. its the insurance thats a killer.

i could prob afford to buy a mint Vavler, but then lobb about 1500 on top of that and well im fooked.

not many of us can "afford" cars as i see many of you have loans, thus suggesting you dont have the money at this present time. fair enough to you tho ive been very tempted to get a load for a car myself, coz they are becoming very cheap (repayment of loads) but i just feeel being 19, once i get a credit card or a load i fall into the trap like everybody else i know.

Quote: Originally posted by kingJimBob on 28 July 2004

not many of us can "afford" cars as i see many of you have loans, thus suggesting you dont have the money at this present time. fair enough to you tho ive been very tempted to get a load for a car myself, coz they are becoming very cheap (repayment of loads) but i just feeel being 19, once i get a credit card or a load i fall into the trap like everybody else i know.

i agree, at a young age i dont think its wise to get a loan for a car

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by boyracer666 on 28 July 2004

i agree, at a young age i dont think its wise to get a loan for a car
Thirded! A loan under 21 is a very bad idea IMO!

Youll lose all the money you borrow when you sell the car too!

im glad that your tax payers money is providing for my education in common sense :D

[Edited by kingJimBob on 28 July 2004 at 12:28pm]

waits to get flamed for the comment :oops:

Liquid yellow R26 F1

Blimey.. I feel really old reading this.. 30Yrs young;).. but was paying nearly 2k :cry: insurance for my 1.9 GTI when i was 19 (But then thats the price you pay if youre into your cars.), bought my Scoob when i was 24 and cained it for 3 years before buying and renovating our current house..... and drove a 205 DTurbo (actually pretty quick) / Micra (girlfriend) for 2.5 years..

the house is finished and I now have a CUP..:D, which is proving to be a very cheap car to run..:eek:

James

It all comes down to maturity and being sensible.
I see no problem in an 18/19 year old getting a large loan,
providing they can afford the repayments and that they are sensible and mature enough to understand money, and its importance.

R26.r #156

James, Kinda the same here, just turned 31 :eek:

I had Metro GTis and things before my Williams 3 at 28yrs old was about £650 on the insurance with full no claims. I have just sold the Williams and now have a 53 CUP. I got it without a loan, cash, the insurance is £460 for a year, full no claims, protected. So my running costs are just the petrol. Am getting 37-38 to the gallon. So am LOVING IT!

Clio 182

Im 19, have a valver, bought it outright and paid for insurance outright.....i looked into a 172 but i honestly prefered the valver, everything about it.....and i couldnt justify paying 6/7k over the valver just because a 172 is newer
a side not, a mate has just passed his test...and got out a 10k loan over 5 years to buy a fiesta, yes a FIESTA! also 19 btw....

[Edited by dan_mk1nova on 28 July 2004 at 12:48pm]

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by april on 28 July 2004
Majority seem to live at home and have their parents paying towards their cars!!!!! :eek:

i live at home yes but have to pay rent and had my car bought for me but have always paid to run it includin insurance, tax, tyres, sevicing........

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Depends how you look at it. To get my 172 I had around £2800 put away so I then got a loan for £6500 which allowed me to get the car and scrape the insurance together. Im in a useful position because I earn around £16.5k and live at home so I can afford to have the repayments fairly high and pay the loan off quickly. If in a year I decide I need the money more than the car then I can sell it, settle the loan and still have some money left over.

Quote: Originally posted by phunkey_monkeh on 28 July 2004

It all comes down to maturity and being sensible.
I see no problem in an 18/19 year old getting a large loan,
providing they can afford the repayments and that they are sensible and mature enough to understand money, and its importance.

someone of that age i dont think would understand initially how the large payments or the length of payment can cripple sum people

they will take a loan out, be happy but wen u wana buy something else it makes it much harder

Jay

Titanium 182

what happend with me:

when i was young 13 ish i started saving as much money as i could cos i loved cars so much upto being 17 id saved 6k

i bought a saxo and paid insurance monthly

sold that etc etc and get paid ok for 19 and still live with my parents

so i own my 172 outright and paid the 1st years insurance on the valver which i could insure but iv been ok cos i kept swapping from car to car on the same polocy and theve never said no you cant its 2 high a group they just charge me more but i can afford it cos my only outgoings are credit card bill and phonebill thats it

the only car i couldnt insure was an integra r

but they will let me get a civic when im 20

quite glad i saved when im younger really cos i still go out all the time for meals and nites out buy expensive clothes and get new footware all the time and have a nice car

feels good having everything but i wouldnt own a 172 if i hadnt of saved and been ok with money

if it was finance and loans i wouldnt own the car its more important to live a good life!

We all live to our means, its only beyond them that its a problem.

I think young IT people have made younger people want a better car earlier. I never wanted a "faster" car because I knew I couldnt afford it.

Having grown up in Essex, it was the same as my mates who had gone to London to work in Merchant banks in the late 80s early 90s. They all had nice cars cos they were living at home and earning way above average for their age.

P.s. am I the oldest here?! :eek:

well i took/passed test when i was 19, and had a 205gti, i didnt pay for it as my bro had brought it and couldnt get insured, so he had my dads ex company car which was gonna b handed down to me, so i had bros car.

I payed insurance of £600 tpft in my mums name for it, then basically wrote it off, so mummy very kindly paid for my civic (£2400) and insurance (£1200) .

Im 20 now so still under a yrs insurance, i did help out abit, but being at college dont leave much in the way of full time job/pay, besides she didnt want me driving around in a dodgy old car wen i she can give me a nice reliable one which will last me as long as i want it! plus shes moving too, so money she gets from house sale will pay all that off which is main reason she could afford to do this for me.

Plus my bloke and me are gettin a flat (actually got one and moving in on friday!!!!) so with rent n so forth cant really afford to pay here back, but do pay for tax/MOT/petrol/mods/ and saving up for nx years insurance (we paid it off in one).

Just read that back n makes me sounds like a right skivvy!!! im not honest! i do pay my way in every other aspect compared to my bro i.e phone bill, cleaning house, broadband and sky.

[Edited by supasexyspeedy on 28 July 2004 at 1:23pm]

Not that old, 32......... But all these young guys are making me feel that way!

I want my daughter to want to do motorsport. Perhaps I should save now for her first go-kart! (Shes only 5)

Quote: Originally posted by Clarel on 28 July 2004

Not that old, 32......... But all these young guys are making me feel that way!

I want my daughter to want to do motorsport. Perhaps I should save now for her first go-kart! (Shes only 5)

many of the main contenders in motorsport these days all drive from about 5/6 in karts and mini championships etc

20 and proud owner of a spanking valver! not a problem! i guess i could get a big loan and get a cup but im saving that for something special!;)

Quote: Originally posted by boyracer666 on 28 July 2004

many of the main contenders in motorsport these days all drive from about 5/6 in karts and mini championships etc

Yeah, I ought to get her started thats for sure. I may be labelled a pushy Mum however, as shes only really showed interest in watching cars so far. She comes to the Nurburgring with us which is nice. She tells us to go faster as were going down the straights, so shes got speed in her veins, (Non-narcotically speaking).

320d

Quote: Originally posted by Dean on 28 July 2004

what happend with me:

when i was young 13 ish i started saving as much money as i could cos i loved cars so much upto being 17 id saved 6k

i bought a saxo and paid insurance monthly

sold that etc etc and get paid ok for 19 and still live with my parents

so i own my 172 outright and paid the 1st years insurance on the valver which i could insure but iv been ok cos i kept swapping from car to car on the same polocy and theve never said no you cant its 2 high a group they just charge me more but i can afford it cos my only outgoings are credit card bill and phonebill thats it

the only car i couldnt insure was an integra r

but they will let me get a civic when im 20

quite glad i saved when im younger really cos i still go out all the time for meals and nites out buy expensive clothes and get new footware all the time and have a nice car

feels good having everything but i wouldnt own a 172 if i hadnt of saved and been ok with money

if it was finance and loans i wouldnt own the car its more important to live a good life!
Same as me really im always saving and have been for years. I own my 172 and sold the valver to pay for the insurance and mods on the 172. hate the thought of owing money and loosing money through finance. Still enjoy my nights out etc without worrying about spending cash i havent got

Age isnt important its how you feel. Im 34, I took up thai boxing at 32 and I want to do my first fight at the end of this year.

Yeah, but if you choose a car which is primarily driven by young people, then its going to be that way I guess. Always will feel old!!!

However, the other day I was sitting in traffic on the A45, I noticed a 182. Looked into it, as ya do, and saw that it was an old fella driving and his wife in the passenger seat! They were in their 60s Id guess.

He probably bought it cos it was sort of top of the range and had all the gadgets....... Wonder if he nails it?

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 28 July 2004

but another ex was 39 cough
Thats what she told you mate - no one is 39 - must ve been 4?... Same applies to 29 = 3?. Oh to be young and naive!

yes,

my mummy and daddy purchased me a 13,000 car and pay for all my insurance (road & track), as well as paying for all of my tyres, running costs like petrol, and all of my upgrades, and they even pay for the trackdays.

Im 23 (coming on 43), I still live at home, I havent got a job, and havent worked since I left school...

/y0z

Quote: Originally posted by Clarel on 28 July 2004

However, the other day I was sitting in traffic on the A45, I noticed a 182. Looked into it, as ya do, and saw that it was an old fella driving and his wife in the passenger seat! They were in their 60s Id guess.

He probably bought it cos it was sort of top of the range and had all the gadgets....... Wonder if he nails it?

LOL, you see this with Honda Civics too, the old folks whove always bought the top of the range Honda cos its reliable etc, and never take it above 3000rpm. Ive seen this a few times and it always makes me giggle.

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 28 July 2004

yes,

my mummy and daddy purchased me a 13,000 car and pay for all my insurance (road & track), as well as paying for all of my tyres, running costs like petrol, and all of my upgrades, and they even pay for the trackdays.

Im 23 (coming on 43), I still live at home, I havent got a job, and havent worked since I left school...

/y0z
LOL!! Same as everyone else then Yoz!!!! ;) Hehehe!!

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR

i work for an insurance company so doe loads of quotes for people and i insured a guy who was 75???? wtf the other day on a 182 hi other cars where a bentley arnarge an bentley continetal gt luck old bugger he bought the 182 "to go shopping in" and he was absalutly nuts???

told him to try cliosport so there might be a member over 70 yet??