ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

shortening the length of springs?!?!?! HELP

1.2 16v
Right, i am gutted, i have recently lowered my car 40mm just 2 weeks ago

and an now faced with having to put my old springs back on as ZURICH

wont let me mod my car and my old man is a judge and wont let me drive

with no insurance. Is it at all possible to shorten the lenth of my standard

springs. i have thought of cutting them, leaving them in spring clamps all

night and even putting them in the freezer! does anyone have any help

and suggestions. also is there anyway to get around the insurance, i have

thought of opening a new 3 month policy and painting my lowered springs

black, what do people think? please help

clio 172, renault 5
paint them black, dont cut them coz you'll never cut the same amount off all 4. then the handlin would be w4nk

Cro

Meg'd r27
to be honest mate change the insurance company or leave it standard. Cutting springs is dangerous and not road legal, as for the other things i wouldnt imagine that would work

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why would you want to put them in a freezer?

+ oh dear

i would put them in spring clamps and put them in the freezr in the hope that they would stay frozen in a compressed position

So your going to drive your car inside your parents freezer? because as soon as you take them out, they'll defrost quicker than Bernard matthews finest! :S

Just change insurance company surely??

1.2 16v
well thing is, i only need 3 more months cover as im then going travelling and my sister is gonna drive my car but dont really want to put old springs back on if i can avoid it, would i get away with spraying the springs black, or do the insurers measure the ride height?

R35 GTR
well thing is, i only need 3 more months cover as im then going travelling and my sister is gonna drive my car but dont really want to put old springs back on if i can avoid it, would i get away with spraying the springs black, or do the insurers measure the ride height?

Well if you have already told your insurer then you better put the standard ones back on.

clio 172, renault 5
i would put them in spring clamps and put them in the freezr in the hope that they would stay frozen in a compressed position

So your going to drive your car inside your parents freezer? because as soon as you take them out, they'll defrost quicker than Bernard matthews finest! :S

Just change insurance company surely??
mmm bernard mattews.
if you really wanna keep them paint them

Your stupid IMo to think of this idea its dangerous and illegal either do it right (and IMO thats not even chnage the springs thats spedn a lot of money) or don't at the end of the day your on holiday I think you said soon so all this work etc for nothing in a few month its all over.

?
Why would you want to put them in a freezer?

+ oh dear

That is the single most retarded thing i have ever heard. Seriously, what the hell... if this is a serious post im worried. Metal doesnt freeze into shape... and it certainly wont stay "frozen in a compressed position"...

hang on... lusty?

Did nobody know you could compress your springs then freeze them to make your car lowered? Around christmas time, get about 9 people in your car, a boot full of lead and wait till its nice and frosty! :)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Facelift R53 Cooper S
put them in the freezer?

are you crazy?

even IF that did work the suspension would be absolute rock hard and make the car absolutly terrible to drive

the freezer lmao

Clio 172 Cup
get a good supply of ice cube bags, you don't want to take them out the freezer and realise they have expanded again.

-5C is the way forward!

Mazda MX5 1.8
try adrian flux
great with mods and mine was loads cheaper than my renewal price

honestly - dont a job aint worth doing if ur gonna botch it

That is the single most retarded thing i have ever heard. Seriously, what the hell... if this is a serious post im worried. Metal doesnt freeze into shape... and it certainly wont stay "frozen in a compressed position"...

hang on... lusty?

this is even beyond me. You are correct they wont stay in a frozen position. lol

Shed.
lmao. yes it can be done, people do do it, but ....... just dont .

My spring has snapped and is still working though, a bit off the end has come off and is still sat in the thingy. works fine. just now the car looks lop sided.

you will fail your MOT. Its also illegal as far as i know.

Clio MK2
  CLIO 172 EXCLUSIVE
why didnt you check insurance before you changed? only option is to get new insurance or change back. Alternatively ill lend you my hacksaw and a ruler, just £20 for the weekend.

alien green rs133
i personally think this is the answer to all our problems
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10

Do you have an annoying rattling in your mufflers? Are they sagging a little? Don't quite sound right? That could be the symptoms of a worn muffler bearing. Allow me to introduce the KaleCoAuto muffler bearing! It's unique iron-graphite composite with pre-grease-packed assembly provides over 200,000 miles of smooth muffler operation! It is most likely they will outlast your mufflers. Also works well on heavy duty exhaust systems. One per muffler.

problem solved no more muffler rattle and that extra weight will lower the back end of your car lol :slap:

tiTTy & SV650
pmsl spring clamps and freeze them, wake up ffs...

You think -12C is gonna permanently alter the properties of hardened steel?!