ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should my Mounts be this high up ?

German V6
Fitted coilovers a month or so back been fine untill a few days ago thought i'd take a look today and the mounts seem like they are up way too high.

tUsKY.jpggxuRZ.jpg

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
That doesn't look right to me. Have you tightened the top nut properly by holding the centre shaft with an allen key?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
FYI, the only purpose of those top parts is pretty much so that the strut doesn't fall out of the hub when the front wheels come off the floor or similar.

But is it fair to say that they should be held tight to the strut tops to stop the whole suspension and subframe set up moving about independent of the body when you take the weight off, such as going over a bridge/hump of some kind or having one side of the road drop away due to a pothole?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Not really, it's not a case of taking the weight off, you'd have to lift the wheels right off of the floor to feel any effect.

You've got the weight of the car and the compression of the spring pressing the underside mount against the turret, I don't think it's going too far.

Even if you managed to get both front wheels off the floor, it'd drop down an inch, then pop straight back up as soon as you hit the floor.