ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

signal-whats the deal?

Clio
How come in my house i get 4bar signal on O2 but no/zero signal on 3? Do some carriers have different strength signal waves?
If I just go outside the house its fine.

RIP Dan
3G doesnt penetrate buildings very well. Judging by their name I would say 3 use 3G. 2G is fine. I could go into it more but you would fall asleep with boredom.

Clio
I thought 3G was to do with the internet? I'm on about bog standard phone call signal. Plus think my phone uses 4G

...so O2 dont use 3G?

RIP Dan
3G CAN be to do with internet but it does voice as well, the data side is faster than 2G.

Your handset will grab the best signal it can, ie if its set to both it will go between them getting the strongest signal it can and using it. If you set to 2G only you will only use the 2G network, save battery and if you dont use the net on your phone its a good option.

Yes I would imagine O2 do use it, but maybe not in your area. There needs to be specific equipment for 3G on the masts, if you live in the sticks they probably cant be arsed to fit it as its costs money and they will never recoup it. Or it could be switched off for reasons unknown.

Not sure if 4G has been released where you are or in the UK, was rolled out in Malaysia when I was there a few months ago. either way, use 2G only if you dont use data much.

Clio
Oh right ok, well I live in a city so signal should be good. I thought H+ was the same as 4G, must be wrong then as I know f-all.

Don't want to go to 2G as I'm.constantly using data. Might be best to go into the shop and complain.

It says on the website that I'm in their coverage area but some rooms might get better signal than others. Well I get one bar upstairs which is crap.

RIP Dan
Yeah go and have a word mate, if it says you should have coverage then cant see why not. You may have 4G feller, I have been out of industry a year or so now and things move very fast.

RX7 FD
4G is only in the testing stages in the UK as far as I am aware. First release being around September I believe (this will only be in Cornwall). So you won't have 4G. The advantages of 4G over 3G are mainly in data transmission i.e Bandwidth etc.

As has been stated various companies have carying coverage depending on the masts being used and other various considerations. I.e Terrain / Weather / Building Construction / Being on the move also. Different phone companies also use different frequencies I believe so interference is possible on many levels.

H+ I would assume is HSPDA which is High Speed Downlink Packet Access and basically is 3G with some extra uumph.

I hope that helps :)