ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Silverstone in the XR

Mixed weekend down at Silverstone Triangle (National). In qualifying I had a car that was a bag of understeer one minute, a bag of oversteer the next - partly due to sketchy driving skillz and partly due to the track being dry in some places, but wet in others. Brooklands was a corner I never got quite right - was damp pretty much all day. The circuit is just a glorified triangle, so didn't take too long to pick out some braking and turn in points, so after a few steady warmup laps, I began to pick up the pace. Didn't really think I hooked three good sectors up together, but was delighted to take 7th on the grid, ahead of four injected-cars, one of which a former race winner, all of whom had raced at Silverstone before. Result!

310234_708978236994_222304875_7688298_2056881_n.jpg

I was trying in qualifying, and it did get a bit loose at times...
1ba_12938_12409816.jpeg

The race was a lot tougher, made a poor start (as usual) and was down to 9th by the second corner and 10th by the third. Tried my best to keep up with the injected cars ahead, had a few good runs on Derek (blue 205) and Kieron (black 205) including a bit of contact under braking, but couldn't quite make it stick. Got passed by an XR2i a few laps from the end, in a good move around the outside into Brooklands whilst I was trying to attack the 205 in front. Unfortunate to hit a BMW being lapped in a yellow-flag zone at the first corner meaning I lost a good chunk of time on the pack I was catching back up to, and was going to try another hero out-braking manouevre into Maggotts. Finished 11th in the end, a little frustrating given where I started, but nine guys ahead have all been racing for years! I made a few silly errors, but probably couldn't have finished any higher than I did, had it been Cadwell or Oulton with more twisties, I might have had a better chance to defend, but really it was all lost at the start.

Saved on tyre wear at Brooklands...
f14_12938_12409732.jpeg

306363_709046061074_222304875_7690187_4805133_n.jpg

Video to follow, when I've had time to do some editing...

Listerine & Poledo
what did you top out at on Wellington then..... if you had a chance to look down that is!

:)

what did you top out at on Wellington then..... if you had a chance to look down that is!

:)

A speedo is a dangerous tool to have on track - so I don't have one, but based on the rpm, probably around a ton. I think the arrival at Maggotts/Becketts is quicker.