ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky Insurance wont insure me!

They wont insure me because I will be parking my 182 on the street.

Thought that was a poor exscuse!

Live in Clapham, London.

Very shocked seeing as most cars parked on my road are e90 BMW, porkas the lot.

Its an affluent area!

So strange

Seems an odd excuse but its down to the area and amount of claims. I couldn't get insured because of my postcode, even if it was garaged.

MR2 Mk1.5
They wont insure me because I will be parking my 182 on the street.

Thought that was a poor exscuse!

Hi,

first of all, thank you for trying us and my apologies we were unable to help you.

To be insured via our car club scheme we need you to meet certain criteria, in higher risk postcodes there may be some extra criteria, eg the car must be kept on driveway parking when parked overnight.

Our underwriters will have a higher than normal claims loss ratio in your postcode, hence the extra criteria.

We are not refusing you a quote, we can quote you but my colleague would have said 'no quote' on the basis that without applying our discount, we would simply not be competitive.

We find these postcode restrictions/exclusions incredibly frustating as well, you'll have to trust me on that.

Please give us a try next year and postcode criteria does change on a regular basis.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

MR2 Mk1.5
Where do they expect you to park it?

Either in a garage or parked off the street.

In the particular postcode this member lives in, our underwriters have a high rate of car break ins and vandalism.

I hope that explains why we were unable to quote (via our car club scheme) with the car kept on a public road overnight.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Either in a garage or parked off the street.

In the particular postcode this member lives in, our underwriters have a high rate of car break ins and vandalism.

I hope that explains why we were unable to quote (via our car club scheme) with the car kept on a public road overnight.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

I didnt quote via the club scheme however as im not a member!

It's A Reno
IIRC, Cliosport used to have an insurer onboard but fucked us off because of constant wingeing and complaints about one thing or another.
These guys have offered, and given good service and discounts to alot of members on here, so let's not let it happen again please.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
IIRC, Cliosport used to have an insurer onboard but f**ked us off because of constant wingeing and complaints about one thing or another.
These guys have offered, and given good service and discounts to alot of members on here, so let's not let it happen again please.
+1. They can't insure you, big deal - ring someone who will.

MR2 Mk1.5
Dont worry guys, I'm more than used to the odd winger, it is the nature of the hateful insurance business.

I totally understand the member's frustration however. For us, when you have a customer on the phone who ticks all the rights boxes except for one thing (eg where the car is kept overnight), it is incredibly frustrating to have to say 'no quote' .

From an insurance perspective (and yes it is not ideal for everyone), by saying no to the higher risk cases, we are able to keep our claims stats low and our rates low and pass this saving onto the lower risks who do meet the criteria... however, having said that, we would prefer to insure every member out there!

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Clio 182
Meh. Thought they were quite expensive anyway. 900 for a 1.5 dieasal megane. 23 years old 1 no claims sp30 in Mansfield. Admiral want 520

It's A Reno
I guess for some people they will be great. For others, no use.

Its called life

Absolutely. I'm no pup and I got refused point blank because I have a non standard exhaust on my otherwise completely standard 172FF.

It happens.

Never above 25mpg
They gave me a great quote, if it wasn't £100 more expensive than the insurers im going to go with I would've taken the insurance out for definite :)
I'll be trying them next year.

PH1 172 Sport
Sky were a great bunch to deal with, there original quote was not cheaper than my renewal but the excess was half the price. When they asked me my renewal price they went away and comeback with an other price that was lower and still with the low excess.

how long have Sky Insurance been in business? Heard very little of them, well... only since they joined on here tbh!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I thought I'd give sky a go as the customer service feedback seemed very good. But I was told I could only be offered tpft because of my postcode which seemed a little odd. I live in a decent area too, was insured on a 172 fc at 21 with 1 yr ncb for 840.

I'd have liked to have dealt with an insurance company with a call centre in this country too so I'll try again when I move.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
how long have Sky Insurance been in business? Heard very little of them, well... only since they joined on here tbh!

I have no idea, but their service is spot on mate, upon calling them they knew lots about the car, lots about the mods, offered me a VERY competetive price with 90 days european cover and other extras. Told me to call back if I got a better price and they'd try their best to beat it.

MR2 Mk1.5

We have been trading for 25 years but the car club business is about 6 years old.

We are very well known within the Japanese car club scene, we are the offical insurer for many of these clubs, eg Mkiv Supra Club, FTO OC.

Here are some of our current affiliated clubs:

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/club_list1.html

MR2 Mk1.5
Is there a list of high risk postcodes etc? be interesting to see if I were in one.

There are a few floating around on the net..

Different insurers will have different restrictions though..

Feel free to PM me your postcode and I wont mind checking it against our lists..

Really impressed with their service, it's cracking to be able to speak to a person without being put on hold for 15 minutes as well as someone who knew what they were talking about.

421 Cammed 172
Sky got me insurance for £300 less than my lowest quote.

Elephant wouldn't insure me, neither would Bell.

You can't blame sky if they can't get you insurance at a competitive rate, they're brokers at the end of the day, if the underwriters won't budge they can't do anything about it.

Give em a break.

Renaultsport Clio 182
different insurance companies use different criteria in order to provide you with a quote. what works for some may not work for others.

I was with Bell insurance last year & my renewal came through 2 weeks ago with a price of £634 inc breakdown cover. you must be off your head if you think i'm paying that! I phoned my mate who recently started work for Admiral (same insurance group as Bell & Elephant). He told me a few things to make my quote cheaper that i just couldn't believe............but it worked!

I'd always said that my car was garaged - turns out this is the worst according to the Admiral group as most accidednts occur with people reversing in / out of their garages so he told me to either put street or driveway (driveway is best).

he also told me to add as many people to the Policy as possible. I'd origianlly only added my mother as a named driver but i also added my old man and it came down further.

he then said that if i added someone who holds a PROVISIONAL licence it would come down again!! i couldn't believe this was true but it actually is? how messed up is that??

changed my details to include the following and it came down just over £100. good but still not good enough!

I rang Adrian Flux then & got the full works for £447 inc national breakdown, protected NCB / personal injury etc etc etc so i'm well happy now. it's still alot of money but considering most insurance quotes have gone up this year it isn't too bad in my eyes.

MR2 Mk1.5
Is there a list of high risk postcodes etc? be interesting to see if I were in one.

Hi bud, just tried to reply to your last PM but you are over you mail box limit. (Damn you, I typed out a whole PM and then lost it ha ha!)

I just wanted to say that your Clio may already have thatcham approved security fitted as standard so there is no need to rush out and buy something aftermarket on the basis of the insurance alone.

Cheers

Ollie
Sky Insurance

We have been trading for 25 years but the car club business is about 6 years old.

We are very well known within the Japanese car club scene, we are the offical insurer for many of these clubs, eg Mkiv Supra Club, FTO OC.

Here are some of our current affiliated clubs:

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/club_list1.html

Excellent, thats reassuring. I apologise if my post came over as criticism, I was generally interested to see how established you are.

My renewal is on 13th March, are you able to quote this early?

MR2 Mk1.5
Excellent, thats reassuring. I apologise if my post came over as criticism, I was generally interested to see how established you are.

No not at all, it is a natural question to ask if you haven't heard of us.

My renewal is on 13th March, are you able to quote this early?

This is fine, feel free to PM me your contact details and I will arrange a call back?

Thanks