ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky TV in an additional room?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
evening tech lot,

Are any of you clued up on how I can hook our Sky up to another TV in a different room?

I lnow you can get multi room for an additional £10 but I dont need that.

I have been given a TV that im going to put on the garage wall so would like to have Sky hooked up to it. As said above, im not bothered about being able to watch a different chnnel to what is on in the living room, but it would be handy if I could use the remote while in the garage to change channel from in there ( although living room is a few steps through the conservatory from the garage so not a huge issue if i could only change the channel from living room).

Any ideas / links to what i would need to buy to achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
Austin

SQ5
If your sky box was bought in the last 18 months it no,longer has the aerial/RF output for you to be able to do this.

This means you'll need to buy another little box called an i/o link, which are about £25. And whatever you do make sure the sky box is pulled out of the plug with no power at all otherwise you'll blow it straight away!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys.

Sky box has been here since we moved in 2.5 years ago so should be fine then.

So the cable needs to go from the current sky box direct to the TV? I dont need to run any wire from the satelite dish to the new TV?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Cheers guys.

Sky box has been here since we moved in 2.5 years ago so should be fine then.

So the cable needs to go from the current sky box direct to the TV? I dont need to run any wire from the satelite dish to the new TV?
No you don't need to run another co-ax from your satellite dish . You run a co-ax cable from the RF output on your existing sky box , in your case to the TV in your garage . You connect that co-ax to your magic eye on one side and connect the other side to your RF input on your TV in the garage . Then you have to set it up in so you have power from the RF output through the menu on your sky box .
Have a look at this video .

A Magic eye should work, but it won't be HD quality as it uses RF. Might not be an issue if its only in the garage though and there is an added cost.. I ended up buying a hdmi splitter and cable, and an IR transmitter that wirelessly sends the signal to the box.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
A Magic eye should work, but it won't be HD quality as it uses RF. Might not be an issue if its only in the garage though and there is an added cost.. I ended up buying a hdmi splitter and cable, and an IR transmitter that wirelessly sends the signal to the box.
How much did that cost?

Im not bothered about HD, dont watch channels in HD anyway tbh.

I have orded the kit linked above for £14.99 with 20m of cable.

Bit late but I use wireless HDMI stuff to beam consoles/PC upstairs/downstairs (2 bed semi). I have Xenta wireless kits which aren't sold new anymore. They look a similar setup to this one on eBay, I've never tried the IR bits for changing channels though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prestigio...elessVideoTransmitters_CA&hash=item4ae3ec05b7
How do you find the signal / range on them? I almost went with one but there were mixed reports on line. Went for a cable in the end as it was easy enough to route.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Same make as mine except the receivers I have are the same size as the transmitter - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007A2ZEWA/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Claims 20m depending on line of site or 12m indoors. At a guess I've currently got mine about 4-5m from each other I reckon upstairs to downstairs. Have done further without problem although have never really measured it!

I had problems with it disconnecting recently but found it to be an issue with a HDMI cable I was using. Sometimes they drop connection within a minute or so of being switched on (happened last night), turned the receiver on/off and all was well for using the PC for a couple of hours. Very occasionally the picture loses quality but it's normally only noticeable for a couple of seconds.

I've been using my first set almost daily with regular long sessions for around 3 years and would say that 99% of the time they have been perfect. I've since bought 2 more second hand sets on eBay over the last couple of months I'm that impressed with them. So glad I took a chance on them despite reading poor reviews like you've seen.

But yeah, if it's easy enough to do a cable then that's the way to go!