ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky 'whiting out'

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure of the technical term but i have problems with sky 'whiting out'.

I understand you can take bracketed shots and HDR them but I have also been told a CPL will make the sky as it should be.

Anyway, below are 4 pictures, each taken at a different position of the CPL, the sun was to my side, almost at a 90 degree angle. None of them however have exposed the sky well, any tips people can give me?

4241922838_59529d5d06_b.jpg

4241916118_53ca9b931c_b.jpg

4241908202_720900c554_b.jpg

4241129063_8388ec0c5b_b.jpg

The term is 'blown out' and simply it's because there is too much light..

Lower aperture, faster shutter, fiddle with the exposure a bit..

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
ND grad filters might sort you out.

I adjust a lot of my skies in Photoshop though.

these were sorted in PS: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2768/4208320273_abc65ab759.jpg & http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4208315701_a05e55a54a.jpg

Keep planning to get some ND filters to try out. Will try that.

The term is 'blown out' and simply it's because there is too much light..

Lower aperture, faster shutter, fiddle with the exposure a bit..

I messed with the exposure a bit, took loads of the same thing trying to just get the sky right. Will try again with a lower aperture.

Nikon D700
Another way - take two shots. One metered for the sky, another for the foreground. Takes a bit of playing with spot metering though, which can be tricky to master.

Ian

Focus TDCi
As above, sometimes the dynamic range of the scene is too wide for the camera's sensor. The main ways to capture it are with a CPL which helps boost the skies contrast, but ultimately can only bring it back so far; or with graduated neutral density filters. These can be different strengths and/or stacked to give the correct combination to reduce the dynamic range of the scene.

With your photos the snow has turned grey because you're underexposing to try and bring the sky back from overexposure. If you took two shots or used a ND grad you could have white snow and a nice blue sky. :) I'm actually surprised that the sky was that much brighter than the snow though tbh..

Hope that makes sense? The recent landscape photos on my Flickr were taken with grads, but they were coloured rather than neutral.

Edit: Oh and if you have Lightroom or a program like that, you can mimic a grad ND with a tool, as long as the sky hasn't completely blown out.

Last edited: